SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-14, 03:15 AM   #1
Sentinel

Default Valve adjustment how to?

My Gladius is almost due for the valve check/adjustment service. I have searched and skimmed through related threads here and elsewhere. I do have the Suzuki manual, and I also have the Haynes, but I'm also looking to see if there are any "How To" posts and or videos available online of a valve adjustment being performed on this engine.

I'm also looking for any tips or advice anyone has to offer.

Someone said I need and OBD tool to set the throttle bodies up afterwords. What's that all about?

I have done valve adjustments on less complicated engines with less complicated valve systems before. I've done the simple screw type and I've also done the shim "over" bucket type once before, which doesn't require removal of the cams, and is easier and less complicated than the shim under bucket setup on this bike. I've never done an adjustment on a V engine or any engine with "shim under bucket" adjusters before, so this will be my very first. The job looks straightforward enough, but if there's any more info, video, how to, hints, tips, or whatever I'd like to see them.

Last edited by Sentinel; 10-11-14 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-11-14, 07:41 PM   #2
oldeboi

Default Re: Valve adjustment how to?

Not sure if this will help.....
http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_valves/
oldeboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 02:50 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

That's a good guide. Only thing I'd add is that if you've disturbed the cams, make sure when you've put the cams and tensioners back in that you turn the motor over a few times by hand and double check the chain tension & timing before putting the covers back on, plugs in and thumbing the starter. Gives you an extra piece of mind that you've done it correctly before you apply force to everything.

Jambo
Old 23-11-14, 08:42 AM   #4
Sentinel

Thanks for the help guys.