SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-17, 12:08 AM   #1
Decade

Default AL7 UK Service intervals ?

Hi, got a fairly new 2016 SV650, manual says 'L7' on the back.
On page 6-4 I have a service interval chart, indicating basically 4000/ 7500/ 11000 mile service intervals, under the heading 'Maintenance Chart'.
On the facing page is another service chart with 7500, 15000, 22500 service intervals, under the heading 'For Europe & Oceania Countries'.
Now, last time I checked, UK is part of Europe (I mean geographically), so I imagine I should be using the 7500 mile service intervals, right ?
Because after my 600 mile service, the dealer said the next one is due at 4000 miles. If that's the case, then fine but obviously it's a lot cheaper if I follow the 7500 service interval chart.
Why do I care at all ? Because its got a 3 year warranty & I'd like to keep to the dealer schedule for that period if poss. but don't want to get stitched up.
Old 26-08-17, 01:47 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: AL7 UK Service intervals ?

no its 3500miles intervals. first is 600 then 4000 then 7500 then 11000 then every 3500miles after that. each service is 3500 miles apart. lets say you do the second service at 3900 then your next service will be 7400 and not 7500, if you do the 7500 service at say 7300 the the next service will be at 10800 not 11000.

remember that you also need to use OEM filters, sump plug washer and other OEM service items to keep your warranty. word of warning... do not cheep out on oil quality with the new SV as the bores are coated.

safest thing to do is buy the genuine suzuki service kit and keep the receipt.

KEEP AN EYE ON THE OIL LEVEL. no warranty will cover misuse.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-17, 09:01 AM   #3
Decade

Thanks Bibio, 4000 miles it is.
I'll be letting the dealer do the servicing, at least in the warranty because I lack the garage, tools or know-how myself.
I do check tyres/ drivechain/ oil/ lube points weekly, so that should be fine.
It doesn't seem to be going through hardly any oil though.
Old 26-08-17, 09:55 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
Thanks Bibio, 4000 miles it is.
I'll be letting the dealer do the servicing, at least in the warranty because I lack the garage, tools or know-how myself.
I do check tyres/ drivechain/ oil/ lube points weekly, so that should be fine.
It doesn't seem to be going through hardly any oil though.
My AL7 has used zero oil since I have had it, due to coated bores I use Castrol Power1 4T 10W-40 fully synth, pretty good price from Opie Oils, but I do my own oil changes etc - same on our cars - don't trust the 44 gallon oil drum in corner of dealers workshop that get used for everything from gearboxes to engines, and won't pay their prices for simple oil change either.

I have also added 60mL Molyslip to my oil (2% of oil volume - but don't add more than that) - RiffR4ff has done this for years with no problems with clutch, I did mine about 6 months ago and everything fine.

As Bibio says, keep an eye on oil level, I have a mirror on a stick as bike has to be upright (and level) to check oil, and when bike is on side stand there is no oil in sight in the sight glass window.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-08-17 at 10:11 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-17, 04:26 PM   #5
Talking Heads

When I collected my AL7 from its first service at the supplying dealer Cupar Motorcycles I expressly queried the two conflicting service schedules to make sure I had it right for when to bring it in for its next service.
I was told that the next service is most definitely at 7,500 miles.

This is in line with other manufacturers.
Hondas are 8,000 miles on their newer stuff and the new Triumph Street Twin/Cup is 10,000 miles.
Even an aircooled Vespa 125 is 6,000 miles and they spend most of their time having the nuts revved off them!

EDIT:

Also just remembered it was MacamXthe1st's posts on here where I first learned of the increased service interval on the AL7, and it was one of my reasons for buying one.

"I have to also mention the 3 years warranty and 7,500 mile service intervals"
http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...89&postcount=8

Last edited by Talking Heads; 26-08-17 at 04:32 PM.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 06:27 AM   #6
SVanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
Hi, got a fairly new 2016 SV650, manual says 'L7' on the back.
On page 6-4 I have a service interval chart, indicating basically 4000/ 7500/ 11000 mile service intervals, under the heading 'Maintenance Chart'.
On the facing page is another service chart with 7500, 15000, 22500 service intervals, under the heading 'For Europe & Oceania Countries'.
Now, last time I checked, UK is part of Europe (I mean geographically), so I imagine I should be using the 7500 mile service intervals, right ?
Because after my 600 mile service, the dealer said the next one is due at 4000 miles. If that's the case, then fine but obviously it's a lot cheaper if I follow the 7500 service interval chart.
Why do I care at all ? Because its got a 3 year warranty & I'd like to keep to the dealer schedule for that period if poss. but don't want to get stitched up.
Hi Decade, I had the same question and I contacted Suzuki, here's their response:

Quote:
I can confirm that in the UK the Service Schedule "For Europe and Oceania countries" should be followed.
Old 27-08-17, 06:56 AM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

I wouldn't be going with the 7500 mile service intervals, even if it's correct. I'd be using Bibs 3500 intervals, changing the oil at that milage can only be good for the engine and I've always changed bike engine oil at low mileages
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 07:04 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I wouldn't be going with the 7500 mile service intervals, even if it's correct. I'd be using Bibs 3500 intervals, changing the oil at that milage can only be good for the engine and I've always changed bike engine oil at low mileages
yup especially with the bores being coated. i have a sneaky suspicion that suzuki are trying to meet euro regs by increasing the service schedules.

something else i would look into is the warranty mileage vs time, it might state 3 years but i bet its also mileage dependant as well.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 08:15 AM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

This is a two page article, at the very bottom is a 'next>' for page 2

Basically you cannot change the oil too frequently, but common sense, the size of your wallet and the fact you may be throwing perfectly good oil away (or for most of us, taking it to council recycling depot), certain conditions like very short runs and stop start are hard on oil, as are very hot and dusty conditions, but as above it depends on how you use the engine how long the oil will last. The article also says some truck operators just monitor build up of acids in the oil and sometimes leave it in for 30,000 miles, this may be possible because the engines are running a lot of the time and oil is kept hot.

I use a good synth (Castrol Power 1) in my AL7 and change it once a year or around 7500 (whichever comes sooner, I would probably never get to 7,500 in a year these days) in UK as majority of my runs are over 100miles in the temperate, non-dusty UK climate. I know it is possible to leave filter longer but I always change oil and filter together (especially as bits of clutch plate friction material circulate in a wet clutch bike oil).

There is a note about dangers of using flushing oils, which should not be needed with modern oils - and a cautionary tale of an older engine with many miles on it that had flushing oil used and failed shortly afterwards ( I think RifFR4ff had a similar experience).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 08:43 AM   #10
Decade

That's a good idea with the mirror, SV650Rules
I have an ABBA stand (which is great) but I'm not sure how 100% level it keeps the bike.
I also balance it standing up then try to kneel down really slowly to keep it vertical. I feel this is a pretty crap method.