SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-07, 03:25 PM   #1
philipMac

Default Ducati Monster S4R

Hi...
So, I was driving an S4R yesterday, and I have to say, it was really nice.
I didn't even find the dry clutch to be that loud, its just a bit weird feeling.

I mean, I am not sure what I was expecting, well, I suppose more of a lunatic machine, but it was really well behaved, really easy to drive, and seems to be a nice bike.
The only thing is, my hands were a bit shock up / shocked feeling afterwards, and the bike sort of took off once or twice on bumps. I am thinking that the suspension is just too hard, or I am just too light.

Either way, I am driving it again soon enough.
Emmm. What I wanted to ask you biker know it all types, is have you heard horror stories about them? I was looking at the build quality, and it seemed pretty good. Well, excellent in fact. The whole bike had a really really together solid feel.

So, yeah. Tell me more biker Gods. Tell me what I should know about these bikes.
Always appreciated...
phil.

EDIT, arrrg. I just realised there is a typo in the header for this post.
S4r. Monster. Ducati. arrrg.

One of these...

Last edited by philipMac; 04-06-07 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 09:06 PM   #2
600+

Default Re: SR4's

for the specific one I haven't heard anything

BUT

yesterday I was having a chat with a keen Ducati owner on the IAM Group I belong to. What he said was; If you want a bike that starts everytime/everyday and when it goes for a service the garage doesn't ring you back half way through saying they've discovered XYZ

Don't buy a Ducati
Old 04-06-07, 09:10 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

One of my friends had one of them. He had it for two years and I never ever heard him complain about starting / eletrical / mechnical problems what so ever.

His was blue, it was a lovely looking bike. He had an older monster an M900 I think before that and it was nothing but grief.

Might be worth having a look on here for more info

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/index.php

HTH

Cheers

Fizz

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 10:32 PM   #4
Davies

Lovely bike

I've no idea about that particular model either but I recently bought a 1994 Monster M900 and I love it to bits. I have had a few problems with it (2 engine studs shearing, but my bike hadn't gone through the recall, and a duff spark plug), but I put all the little things that go wrong with it down to learning the bike and how it works. The fact that it's 13 years old probably has something to do with it too

I haven't ridden that many bikes in comparison but mine handles like a dream....you can really chuck it into the corners and carry a lot of speed......and it sounds lovely!!

Go for it

Old 05-06-07, 12:55 AM   #5
TheDangerousQuietOne

I luuurve monsters! I'd love one if I could afford it! I'd never even seen one til I followed JR down to southampton, the straight through pipes on it sent a tingle down my spine.
Old 05-06-07, 03:31 AM   #6
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstreetfighter View Post

I haven't ridden that many bikes in comparison but mine handles like a dream....you can really chuck it into the corners and carry a lot of speed......and it sounds lovely!!
yeah. It soaks up roughness in the road. You can just ignore stuff that would have the SV all over the shop.
Its not as unbelievably settled in corners as the BMW 1150 Adventure, but, yeah. It feels good enough. It goes into corners really well. It goes into corners like an SV650 actually.

I giggled a bit when it started up. Like a school girl. Tee hee hee. BURBLE BURBLE BURBLE.