SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-09, 10:58 PM   #1
natcar

Default DVLA fines -SORN

I sold a bike to a dealer, who exported the bike to ireland. They went bust - and apparently did not inform the DVLA. I got a tax reminder which I ignored as I dont own the bike so I get a fine for £80 for not taxing the bike . I explained the situations by post but apparently its my fault for not informing them I had sold the bike? Anyway fine reduced to £40 which I have paid. I thought the dealer informed them of change of ownership not the seller?
Old 17-05-09, 11:01 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: DVLA fines -SORN

I thought you had to sign and send a piece of paper off, although generally you just sign it at the dealer and they send it off.

When a bike's in the dealer network I don't believe it needs to be taxed. It should be their responsibility but I'm probably wrong. Either way I guess since you paid the fine off it doesn't matter now anyway.
Old 17-05-09, 11:02 PM   #3
Luckypants
Mega Poster

It has been seller's responsibility to inform DVLA of change of ownership for sometime. There is an option on the form to say it was passed to a dealership IIRC.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 09:27 AM   #4
Ed

More wickedness from this government. Yes LP is right, you are expected to monitor receiving a piece of paper from DVLA to confirm that they have done the transfer.
Old 18-05-09, 09:40 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

On the new V5C forms the yellow section 9 is transfer to dealership. You can tear this out when you give it to a dealership and post it off yourself. This leaves the main part of the V5C form with the dealership to transfer ownership to the new keeper when it's sold on.

The older single page V5 forms had a red slip at the bottom IIRC that did the same thing, transferred ownership to a dealer, while leaving the dealer with a V5 form they could sign over to the new keeper.

This isn't new, and I'm sorry it's cost you money in what seems a very unfair situation, but for the record and future note it's always the current keeper's responsibility to inform the DVLA of a change in vehicle ownership or staus (i.e. being scrapped, sold, or traded in).

Jambo
Old 18-05-09, 10:30 AM   #6
peterco

+1
it is your responsibility to inform DVLA of any transfer of a vehicle.
When I have changed a vehicle,I have always filled out the section and then
get the dealer to fill in his details .
Also have a stamped addressed envelope with DVLA address and I just slip in
the slip and post..done.
Though sorry to here of your fine.

pete
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 10:57 AM   #7
husky03
Mega Poster

I got a tax reminder which I ignored as I dont own the bike -
your fault mate-if i got this through the door it would send alarm bells ringing, i'd then contact them to find out whats going on-you chose to ignore it when it was clear that on there system the bikes still registered to you-lesson being trust no-one

husky
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 06:11 PM   #8
Nostrils

Since a mate got stung in a similar way a few years back, I make it my duty to fill the forms in the presence of the new owner and send both pieces off in separate envelopes myself - You now usually get a letter from the DVLA thank you for informing them and that the database has been updated with the new owner details - A couple of mates now do the same and if the buyer doesnt want to play ball, then the vehicle is not for sale.
Old 19-05-09, 12:42 PM   #9
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

NEVER assume the dealer will do it for you. Same thing happened to my wife - she tried to take the relevant bit off the V5 when she traded in her old bike but the dealer insisted they'd do it for her and got funny when she said she wanted to do it. Sadly she let them. They probably thought they were being helpful and providing the "total service" but then messed up leaving us with the mess.
Old 19-05-09, 01:58 PM   #10
phi-dan

"I'm very sorry sir, it must have got lost in the post", worked for me when a mate lost all the paperwork for the bike I had sold him several months prior. Incidentally, when I bought the SV and was handed the V5 it still showed the previous (real) owner as current and not the dealer. The dealer sections were all blank so I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
phi-dan is offline   Reply With Quote