SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-06, 09:36 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default V5s and SORN

Ok, if one was to have owned a bike for a number of years (say 10) but the bike has been off the road all that time (used as a feild bike for instance) but it has never been SORNd, if it is then sold, what happens on the change of keeper at DVLA ?

The owner still only has the old style V5, so presumably it isn't on the modern system?
Old 19-10-06, 09:47 AM   #2
Baph

Presumptions can be dangerous.

If I were in that situation, I'd call the DVLA & ask them for a new style V5 for it. It will be on the system somewhere. Then when sold, transfer details of ownership to the new owner.

Assuming that it is on the system somewhere, if the ownership isn't changed, the old owner is up **** creek without a paddle when the DVLA realise it's not been taxed in 10years. Filling out a SORN late doesn't count.

Assuming it's not on the system, if it's ridden on the road and get's stopped by Plod, or even if it's ridden off-road somewhere it shouldn't & Plod manages to stop it, then the current rider AND the previous owner are back in that canoe without a paddle. Only this time, they're sitting together.

EDIT: A SORN just tells the DVLA that it won't be used on the public road, not that it won't be used at all. So if caught off-road, and covered by a SORN, Plod are a lot less harsh about it.

Less risky for the new owner, but which one are you? Also, is it worth the risk (10years lack of road tax would probably end in a jail sentence I'd imagine)?

(Can you tell I spent a long time in fields as a youth?)
Old 19-10-06, 10:06 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
It’ll be registered at DVLA, but what I meant is that is has not been taxed since BEFORE the mandatory SORN came into play … does this make it exempt or could there still be complications on change of owner and things are re-kicked off computer wise?

Or as long as the new owner SORNs it when they get the new V5 all is well?
Old 19-10-06, 10:16 AM   #4
Baph

If it's pre-computerisation, then things become tricky. The DVLA has held records on computer since long before they started publically announcing it on TV (mainly due to space).

I seriously doubt that much thought was put into the DVLA systems (coming from a software engineering background), and so assuming the new owner requests a new V5 (this will happen on change of ownership anyway) and SORNs the bike, it should be fine.

Naturally, I can't confirm definately if the previous owner wouldn't be in for a rough ride, but like I said, I doubt the system is designed for this specific eventuality.

The concentration is on vehicles that are on the public road and not paying tax, not on old field bikes. So the previous owner could well be lucky.
Old 19-10-06, 10:58 AM   #5
Jelster

Call and ask, I have a SORN problem with my old SV that was written off and they say they have no record of the event. The chap I spoke too was fine, just explained what they needed and told me if I could prove that this was the case, no problem.

I would suggest that you tell them that you're looking to purchase a veicle with the situation you discussed here and see what they say.

Old 19-10-06, 11:07 AM   #6
chazzyb

Default Re: V5s and SORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Ok, if one was to have owned a bike for a number of years (say 10) but the bike has been off the road all that time (used as a feild bike for instance) but it has never been SORNd, if it is then sold, what happens on the change of keeper at DVLA ?

The owner still only has the old style V5, so presumably it isn't on the modern system?
It shouldn't matter. My daughter recently bought a car and was handed an old style V5. I guess the previous owner had lost the new one; from what I had heard, it wouldn't surprise me. My daughter just filled the new owner bit in and sent it off. A new stylee doc came back.
Old 19-10-06, 12:24 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

You may find that you will need to get a new style V5 when you buy,and a special form to be filled in.You probably will have to pay for this(used to be £19)but as long as you do that you will not be liable for any back tax or stuff before you owned it.
Old 19-10-06, 01:29 PM   #8
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
You may find that you will need to get a new style V5 when you buy,and a special form to be filled in.You probably will have to pay for this(used to be £19)but as long as you do that you will not be liable for any back tax or stuff before you owned it.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. If you have an old style V5 there's no way you have to pay the £19 for a replacement V5.

And I think Blue is selling not buying. Or if he's buying it's from a mate that he doesn't want to get grief. There's no way the buyer would be liable for any back tax. I'm sorry I can't be that hopeful for the seller, but wish him luck whoever they are As has been suggested above a call to DVLA will let you know where you stand.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-06, 01:54 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Just gave DVLA a ring ... supposedly the date SORNs took effect was 31 Jan 1998, bikes last taxed before that was no problem.

However this bike was transferred after that! It probably wasn't on the road between 31 Jan 1998 and when it was transferred in 1999, so might not matter, but it has changed keepers and no way of knowing about if on/off road between 31 Jan 1998 and 1999.

So do I stir up a hornets nest and ring DVLA enquiring about the exact bike?? How much are the fines? The bike is being given, but the owner is not going to do that if they end up having to pay £many in fines!!! At that point it is best it just sits in the shed or goes to scrapheap in the sky!!
Old 19-10-06, 07:03 PM   #10
Warren

would a simple solution not be to put it on a Q plate ?