SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-10, 09:45 PM   #1
Speedy Claire

Default Advice re. an elderly cat

Haven`t a clue about vetinary stuff so if anyone has any experience i`d welcome any advice. My poor old cat was limping badly when I came in from work tonight but I didn`t take him to the vets as he`s nearly 18, totally deaf but still lovely and I`m fearful that if his leg is broken the vet will just say put him to sleep. He was weight bearing on it a little earlier but as the night`s gone on he won`t put it down at all. He doesn`t seem to be in pain and will let me touch it, there`s no swelling and I can`t feel any deformity so if it was a broken bone would he be in pain? and if it is broken would a bone heal in a cat that age?

Any advice appreciated as I don`t really want to have to take him to the vets and possibly face making a horrible decision
Old 07-01-10, 09:48 PM   #2
husky03
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice re. an elderly cat

the vet will manipulte the joint,possible socket/hip damage would not be noticed otherwise-bite the bullit mrs and take him-i know it hard to do but at the end of the day you have final say in the treatment not the vet
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 09:52 PM   #3
Speedy Claire

The leg seems to be bent from the knee (if a cat has a knee?) it`s just hanging there limply... don`t know if that helps much?
Old 07-01-10, 09:52 PM   #4
Specialone

Any arthritis?
Old 07-01-10, 09:54 PM   #5
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Any arthritis?
Not that i`m aware of, he`s quite spritely considering his age but he is very thin and following blood tests he`s been on thyroid medication for the last couple of months.
Old 07-01-10, 10:06 PM   #6
missyburd

It's possible he's just bumped it but as he's clearly a fragile old dear a bump can obviously turn into something more serious. Chris's 15 year old labrador went through something similar a few weeks back, he suddenly had a right limp and every now and then would whimper and cry. We felt his leg and couldn't detect anything much as far as swelling or broken bones were concerned. We ended up taking him to the vets in the end and she said it was likely to be arthritis what with the cold weather and all. She gave us some Rimadyl for the lad and apart from the odd limp now and then he seems fine. I'd get your cat checked out really Claire, it might be something or nowt but it will put your mind a rest once you know what the problem is. If it's worse than you thought then it's always your decision to put him out of his misery at the end of the day.
Old 07-01-10, 10:18 PM   #7
Speedy Claire

Thanks Maria, your post is very reassuring. I`ll see how he is in the morning and decide what to do then. The practical side of me says he`s had a good life, he costs me enough in medication each month as it is and if it is anything serious it wouldn`t be fair to put him thru an anaesthetic then the soppy side of me screams out and wins!!

Thank again and i`ll see what tomorrow brings x
Old 07-01-10, 10:21 PM   #8
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post
Thanks Maria, your post is very reassuring. I`ll see how he is in the morning and decide what to do then. The practical side of me says he`s had a good life, he costs me enough in medication each month as it is and if it is anything serious it wouldn`t be fair to put him thru an anaesthetic then the soppy side of me screams out and wins!!

Thank again and i`ll see what tomorrow brings x
I hope everything works out claire, im a cat person myself.

Phil
Old 07-01-10, 10:27 PM   #9
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post
I`ll see how he is in the morning and decide what to do then
If it's only just happened then definitely wait and see over the next couple of days to see if it appears to get worse or persists. Maybe provide a hot water bottle in a towel to sleep on, just in case it is the cold?
Old 07-01-10, 10:37 PM   #10
Speedy Claire

Many thanks guys... good idea re the hot water bottle, will tuck one in his igloo bed