SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-17, 07:54 AM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: I have a Garage!!! :)

Don't feel guilty about enjoying your garage, after all your girlfriend has the kitchen.

Modern garages are not wide enough for a car, one reason is cars have all got bigger (look at old Fiat 500 or Mini, and then look at the modern version), another one is that for a long time now garage doors come in standard widths (especially steel and aluminium ones) and they just happen to be only 100mm wider than the average modern car.

Your garage has wooden doors which were probably made to fit the opening rather than the other way around. If you have another door into the garage (i thought I saw the edge of a door frame, and those bolts in main doors couldn't be opened from outside) I would beef up the main wooden doors with some 'U' shaped brackets and drop a horizontal steel bar in to prevent doors opening, you can retain the bar with a padlock - then the only viable way to open the main doors is from the inside.

If you want a very cost effective garage alarm try one of these (you can set it to a proper siren that screams until you hit the off button on the receiver or just a normal doorbell 'ding-dong, ding-dong' - the receiver has flashing LED lights when triggered - I guess so you can find it easily in the dark to turn it off LOL, but may also be for deaf people). I have rigged one up with two sensors inside garage and receiver by our bedroom. Can be operated off batteries or plug in mains power supply (if you look at bottom left of webpage 'frequently bought together' it shows power supply as an extra) I have the receiver power supply plugged into a timer in the house so it only operates between 10pm and 7am, once you have 'paired' up the sensors and receivers you can take power off receiver and it does not forget the pairing. I put the sensors where they are not really visible and covered the flashing blue LED that shows they have been activated with tape. The sensors need 3xAAA batteries ( I got some rechargeable Panasonic infinium low self discharge ones which hold a charge for 12 months +, but any good alkaline battery will do because passive PIR take hardly any current) - if you don't get power supply with receiver it takes 3xC size alkaline. (have to remove batteries before you plug it into mains otherwise batteries liable to explode, I got the power supply so I could put it on a timer, otherwise if using batteries you have to keep remembering to turn it off when you go into garage LOL)

If you look on 1Byone site in detail you can get a remote fob as well, to arm and disarm the receiver alarm, but read the reviews first as I got the impression it does not always work (whether that is due to 'operator error' or limited range I don't know).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RCW8Q...=safew-21&th=1

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 12-10-17 at 09:25 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 09:51 AM   #12
svbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
That sofa looks like a real 1970s item!

Lots of room in that garage for more project builds.
That sofa will be going asap! More project builds indeed I'm on the hunt for an xr600 at the mo. Wanna do a classic looking scrambler/enduro kinda thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
It's too tidy to be a garage!

Hope it's got central heating, if not get it plumbed in
Central heating would be ideal but the garage is a good 30ft from the house so doubt it would be easy to install. I think a decent gas heater will have to suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Also get some proper security, one of my team had his bike nicked from his garage the other week
The garage actually has a security sensor in the corner which is linked to the alarm system in the house. Also a external security light over doors. But i might look into getting a camera with motion detection/sms notification installed for piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Needs more bikes.
AGREED! Once i get the push bikes on the walls and rid of the washing machine, chair and coffee table i'll have to fill those voids with something
A couple more motorbikes and some decent racking i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Floor could do with a sweep...
Ha, ive been thinking i might get some garage type carpet tiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Your garage has wooden doors which were probably made to fit the opening rather than the other way around. If you have another door into the garage (i thought I saw the edge of a door frame, and those bolts in main doors couldn't be opened from outside) I would beef up the main wooden doors with some 'U' shaped brackets and drop a horizontal steel bar in to prevent doors opening, you can retain the bar with a padlock - then the only viable way to open the main doors is from the inside.
I like the idea of a bar across the doors
Old 12-10-17, 10:20 AM   #13
Chris_SVS

Nice looking mancave
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 10:56 AM   #14
DuncanC

If you go down the gas heater route just remember that they kick out a ton of moisture as well as heat.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 11:19 AM   #15
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I thought the sofa was for relaxing in whilst you watched the washing going round...
A tyre rack for that pile in the corner would be handy, (tried loading a photo of the one I built, failed miserably......) Oh, and if you can put an RSJ or similar across the ceiling it's mega useful for hanging projects on.....

Last edited by Red Herring; 12-10-17 at 12:19 PM.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 12:38 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

well done on the new house and man cave

i dream of having a garage and it might happen soon.

things to fit as security is a smoke machine, ear splitting sirens inside the garage and a strobe light
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 01:02 PM   #17
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Got there in the end.....

Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 01:59 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanC View Post
If you go down the gas heater route just remember that they kick out a ton of moisture as well as heat.
They do produce a lot of acidic water, which can make things go rusty very quickly.

They can also kick out a heap of carbon monoxide, deadly stuff that binds to red blood cells and stops them transporting oxygen to your vital bits. It is odourless and tasteless, a silent killer.

My mate used an Eberspacher (think that is right) heater, they are used on boats, lorry cabs and motorhomes, they need diesel and a 12 or 24volt power supply, they burn the diesel by drawing on outside cold air, the internal air is passed through a heat exchanger that separates combustion from the air used to heat the lorry / caravan / motorhome (garage even). I was amazed how efficient they are, a litre of diesel lasts ages.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 12-10-17 at 02:22 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 05:28 PM   #19
shiftin_gear98

Nice space, do you have kids. If you don't keep it that way. I have 3 the amount of kid **** that now invades my mancave is staggering.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-17, 01:57 PM   #20
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Nice space, do you have kids. If you don't keep it that way. I have 3 the amount of kid **** that now invades my mancave is staggering.
"the garage is a good 30ft from the house"

Beyond the range of most kids these days. Especially teenagers