SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-07-19, 09:53 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Life and warranties

My AL7 has now done 24500 miles and is 3 years and 1 month old, it came with a 3 year warranty, any guesses where this is heading?

OK, this isn't a big deal but it's the Universe reminding me who's boss in our little fight, I have tried to surrender but no quarter has been given.

My gear position indicator has developed an intermittent problem whereby it is unsure whether the bike is in first or second so, to play it safe, it alternates between the two. Once in second then it regains its confidence and assures me that I am, indeed, in second. After that, with its ego suitably inflated, 3rd,4th,5th and 6th are displayed with aplomb.

I've had 2 curvys and liked them, the ease of lifting the tank was sublime and it's a great pity that the design of the AL7 was left to the apprentice while the curvy's designer was taking a break.

There are plastic bits surrounding the tank, 2 on each side with 1 push fitting like a car door card that looks like it should unscrew but doesn't, one hidden, push-on fitting (like side covers on 70s bikes if you're old), one screw and one interlocking sliding fitting between the small front and large back pieces of plastic. Surprisingly, the big ones came off with nothing breaking, the piece that is at the front of the tank lifts with the tank, why it's there is a mystery, maybe they had some spare pieces from another project.
With the tank up (no prop supplied) the connector for the GP selector is easily visible and, as usual, very little free play with which to disconnect the connector. Connections within the connector were pristine but acknowledging that Riffraff will comment, I sprayed it with ACF50 anyway.

I turn my attention to the GP sensor itself which resides near the front sprocket, it's sealed and there's no adjustment. Bother.

I think about how easy it would be to change - 2 screws-no problem there. The cable runs underneath a clamp but how do you get to the second, upper screw to release the clamp? I break down and consult the manual.

You have to be kidding me!
1) drain the oil
2) disconnect the clutch cable and remove the actuating arm.
3) disconnect the CKP coupler (crank position?) and generator coupler
4) remove the generator cover.

I'm beginning to suspect that when I replace it the cable may take a different route.

Price - I guessed £50 but I forgot that with Japanese bike parts you think of a number and double it. A 37730-44H01 costs £97. (plus the cost of a generator gasket if you go the official path). It's also used on the Gladius and the DL650.

For now, I'll leave it. I should add, as a postscript, that it starts working normally after a ride but then is back to being intermittent next day.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-19, 12:54 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Life and warranties

Bugger

Despite the gear indicator, I still find myself trying to change to 7th occasionally, which shows how valuable it is.

In contrast, the LED gear indicator on my 1976 GT380 was still working perfectly when I sold it in 2015. Jap crap
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-19, 07:02 PM   #3
Othen

I think it might be best to live without the gear indicator

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-07-19, 08:22 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think it might be best to live without the gear indicator

The only concern with that is the AL7 will start in neutral without pulling the clutch lever so the gear position sensor must be part of the interlock circuit.

Despite my saying I'd leave it my inherent impulsiveness kicked in and I ordered the part. The Universe, having noticed this, decided to mess with me again and, on the last two rides, the gear position sensor has worked flawlessly something it hasn't done in the last 9 days.

I really need to resolve my differences with the Universe.
Old 24-07-19, 09:20 PM   #5
Talking Heads

Is the neutral light on the dash controlled by the gear position indicator sensor or is there a separate neutral switch?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-19, 09:29 PM   #6
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
The only concern with that is the AL7 will start in neutral without pulling the clutch lever so the gear position sensor must be part of the interlock circuit.
Depends on how the interlock works, whether the starter is inhibited by selection of a gear or activated by detection of neutral.

If starter is inhibited by selection of a forward gear with the clutch switch over-riding it... and the gear position sensor fails, it will start in gear with the clutch out.

What is known in railway parlance as a "wrong side" failure.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-19, 09:49 PM   #7
Scittyf

Hope you manage to get it fixed. For £100 think I'd spend my money on something else and not worry about it.

I always go for 7th gear. Who cares. You know your in top gear and there's no more to select.

Old bikes don't have gear selection numbers. Not sure why someone would be that bothered. It's not a h pattern shifter anyway. Just go up and down as you need to.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 05:07 AM   #8
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

Despite my saying I'd leave it my inherent impulsiveness kicked in and I ordered the part. The Universe, having noticed this, decided to mess with me again and, on the last two rides, the gear position sensor has worked flawlessly something it hasn't done in the last 9 days.

I really need to resolve my differences with the Universe.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in a real life...

Well, the decision is made, you have spent the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25-07-19, 05:24 AM   #9
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittyf View Post
Not sure why someone would be that bothered
I spent my entire career fixing things and when I notice something working incorrectly it becomes a nagging irritant that won't go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads
Is the neutral light on the dash controlled by the gear position indicator sensor or is there a separate neutral switch?
I have just had a quick look at the schematic, there isn't a separate neutral switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen
Well, the decision is made, you have spent the money.
True. I'm also aware that the original part will probably never fail now that I have the ordered its replacement.
Old 25-07-19, 05:57 AM   #10
Scittyf

I understand it's irritating when something doesn't work. Like you I'd probably want to fix it. Even if I didn't find it useful.

Lime I said previously I hope you do manage to find and correct the issue.
It's just a shame it sounds like a pain in the bum to actually sort.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote