SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-08-14, 04:23 PM   #11
Foot

Default Re: 125 for tall rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Does he have a full license?If not Id spend the money on getting one,then buy a proper size bike like an SV650.Cheaper in the long run and saves all that 125 nonsense.
Fraid not. There is such a huge market of bikes when you get past the 125s, it's a shame. And he's really doing this on a budget, he can only afford to do his CBT first then ride with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
Hello reply from a 6 foot 8 guy

simply put the valadero honda job is the only " road style" bike that will suit properly
option 2 is road legal off roaders, not a comfy but still you don't look like your riding a mini moto

yes he could use others but A/ will look like a **** and B/ riding it will feel bad and awkward
hth

Valadero does look like it'll fit the part, but it really is out of his price range. Plus the majority of people tend to drop or throw their 125s up the road.. it wouldn't be great to spend so much on a bike and messing it! Also he'll only be keeping the bike for a year before doing his full licence and moving up, just needs something to get started on.

Has anyone had any experience with the cbf125? He likes the look of it, just about in his price range and people reckon they're bullet proof.
Old 28-08-14, 06:35 PM   #12
Mauler

I'm 6ft and not too slight, I rode about for a year on a '05 CBR125R which was fine. I don't think another two inches will change much (weheeyy)!

Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-14, 07:30 PM   #13
Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler View Post
I'm 6ft and not too slight, I rode about for a year on a '05 CBR125R which was fine. I don't think another two inches will change much (weheeyy)!

You never felt crunched over on the cbr?
or was it just the typical, I'm on a bike, not a comfy car (and I wouldn't have it any other way)?
Old 28-08-14, 07:54 PM   #14
Mauler

Thumbs up Re: 125 for tall rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
You never felt crunched over on the cbr?
or was it just the typical, I'm on a bike, not a comfy car (and I wouldn't have it any other way)?

Pretty much the typical! I didn't get a sore back or anything and the bike was absolutely bulletproof. The only downer to riding it was the 4-stroke 125cc barely did 70mph which made dual-carriageways just about bearable and fun

Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-14, 08:14 PM   #15
Nutsinatin

Default Re: 125 for a tall rider?

I'm only 5 10" and 13.5 stone and rode a CBF125 for a year and still ride it occasionally as I sold it to my girlfriend. I crashed it once and she has crashed it six times - it's bulletproof. I had the rear preload maxxed out so he might want to try to sit on one. Any questions, happy to answer.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-14, 08:57 PM   #16
Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler View Post
Pretty much the typical! I didn't get a sore back or anything and the bike was absolutely bulletproof. The only downer to riding it was the 4-stroke 125cc barely did 70mph which made dual-carriageways just about bearable and fun

My 2 stroke NSR125 was derestricted, think the best the speedo read was 98

And two months later I had a melted piston to replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsinatin View Post
I'm only 5 10" and 13.5 stone and rode a CBF125 for a year and still ride it occasionally as I sold it to my girlfriend. I crashed it once and she has crashed it six times - it's bulletproof. I had the rear preload maxxed out so he might want to try to sit on one. Any questions, happy to answer.
Hoping it's not put your girlfriend off to have so many offs?
Is the bike fun?
Old 29-08-14, 08:41 AM   #17
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: 125 for a tall rider?

Get the Best Yamaha DT125R he can afford. (Last models even had an electric boot.)

It will destroy any slug of a 125 4stroke. And even the new 250's.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-14, 11:26 AM   #18
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Cheers for the replies. Varadero is a great looking bike but it seems it really will be out of his price range, especially bearing in mind £1200 is the upper upper limit, he can't really stretch that far anyway.
My Step Son picked up a Varadero for £900 about two years ago. It was low mileage, but had been used for commuting in London and had been down the road on both sides. Although the damage was slight, he was still able to get the price down from the £1100 originally asked. Mind you he did have us two 'orrible looking bikers with him to back him up.

These days the bike is pristine, he replaced the damaged panels with pattern ones from e-bay and resprayed the whole lot himself with a satin finish black. The result is a mean looking great bike that he still enjoys even after passing his test nearly a year ago. He also carries his Mrs on the pillion and has fitted a Scorpion Exhaust system, which does take some fitting! The result is a great bike that sounds and looks bigger than a 125 and has more than 12BHP once the work has been done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-14, 12:05 PM   #19
Nutsinatin

Quote:
Hoping it's not put your girlfriend off to have so many offs?
Is the bike fun?
Going back to the CBF from the SV is a hoot. It tops out at 66mph so you have to fight for all that speed and rev it as much as you can holding all the corner speed you can and trying to avoid touching the brakes at all. Avoid dual carriageways and you can have fun on it as you are riding at the absolute limit of the bike and that little cylinder is whirring away and the bars are vibrating the suspension is squirming with the dual rear shocks fighting each other with you tucked in as much as possible and it's fantastic. The bike is also good when ridden sensibly and very forgiving as a learner bike as well as cheap to repair. Just have to keep an eye on oil as it only has just over 1L so losing a 100ml is a much bigger deal than on a bigger bike.

However when I was riding the CBF full time I never appreciated how fun it was and just wanted something that went faster.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!

Last edited by Nutsinatin; 30-08-14 at 01:35 PM.
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote