SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-13, 08:26 PM   #1
latwelve

Default Using part worn track tyres on the road?

So I bought some part worn tyres.... off ebay... off this guy.. like lots of people have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120-70-17-...-/161017604155

The garage I took them too said there is a bit of bluing on one sidewall and they think they have been over heated and wouldnt fit them unless just riding in the dry...

well I live in france and its a toy so I only ride in the dry... but I'm struggling to figure out how much of a risk this is that im taking...

What are you thoughts on part worn tyre buyers and all the other people that have had them off this guy?

Thanks
Old 04-07-13, 08:35 PM   #2
Runako

Default Re: Part Worn Track Tyres

Don't know about this guy. But the only way you'll really know, if they don't appear visually shot, is to try them on road/track. The heat cycling obviously degrades the compound but if you don't know or can't tell the number of heat cycles its gone through then you'll only really know when they warm up a bit.

I think the more important thing to check is the condition of the tyres themselves, as some just will turn blue if you abuse them a bit. The Michelins don't really tend to (on an SV) but Corsa do from what I've seen.
Old 04-07-13, 08:51 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

nah they foooked mate, give you a fiver for em?
Old 04-07-13, 08:54 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

I've run worst tyre's than that

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 09:05 PM   #5
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by latwelve View Post
...well I live in france [etc]
Whereabouts in France are you by the way? I'm coming over in a couple of weeks and always on the look out for things to do, interesting places to see, roads to ride etc. Travelling from Le Havre across Loire to Montpellier / Sete.
Old 04-07-13, 10:31 PM   #6
latwelve

Default Re: Using part worn track tyres on the road?

hi mate i live near geneva in the french alps - bike comes out a week next wednesday - if your around im keen for a ride
Old 04-07-13, 10:42 PM   #7
Phoenix22

I can't see a problem but it may be a false economy unless you fit your own. Plenty of new tire deals for just a little more.

Not cheap enough to be a bargain IMHO.
Old 05-07-13, 05:39 AM   #8
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

They'll be fine. I've run part worns on the road before. As far as I was aware the bluing of the tyres was just a natural process of oil agents in the tyre 'leaking' out. Heat leads to more of it coming out. So on a supercorsa run by a racer id expect this to be quite normal.

If it were me I'd whack them on. Take it easy for 20 miles of twistys, jump off the bike and see the bluing had disappeared then carry on like normal.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 08:01 AM   #9
Mr wilson

I wouldn't worry about using these tyres, the colour should return to normal after a while. "Blue groove" tracks are hard pack or tar circuits which usually cause this. We see it on MX bikes occasionally in this country but regularly on bikes which have been used abroad, especially in Spain which is known for its concrete like motocross tracks. A couple of outings back here tends to sort it though.

Shug
Old 05-07-13, 12:04 PM   #10
aesmith

I notice they're 120/70 at the front, any particular reason for choosing that size rather than 120/60?
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote