SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 25-06-12, 10:17 AM   #141
Owenski

Default Re: Dr350 rebuild

Hmmm tempting to remove my big bore from the for sale section....
Looking good badge, gonna be a true thumper soon enough.
Old 25-06-12, 11:18 PM   #142
BBadger

it runs, like a dream.
deeper tone out the now completely sealed exhaust system.
No oil leaks
no odd noises ( cam chains a little noisy but its getting less every min so putting it down to being dry and what not. )
starts 1st time every time.

ill get a load of pics tomorrow, maybe a vid and show how real men polish forks and wheels. then the laborious 500 mile run in begins.

also owenski keep it, dont sell, more cc's makes more sense.
Old 26-06-12, 09:39 AM   #143
Owenski

I do WANT to I just cant justify it just now, its supposed to be a commuter tool not a toy. I'd be livid if the Bigbiore becomes a reliability issue.
Old 26-06-12, 04:48 PM   #144
BBadger

hmmm duno if reliability would be compromised. Theres got to be a fiar few people on thumper talk or supermoto forum that have done it.
Also the run in is painful only done 11 miles and keep having to tell myself "no easy on the throttle" when all i want to do is see how much power there is.
But a good run in and oil changes at 250 and 500 miles will mean that the engine should be good forever really as something else will go like the big end before the barrel does.

anyways.

Where im going i dont need wheels ( 6:30 was maybe to early to wake up and work on bikes )

some polishing before and after of the front rim.

it got better though.
Everything got teacut, polish, a proper wax and acf50 so it gleems in the sun also fork brace fitted and clamped down.

didnt put as much effort into the rear wheel as it was so grimy and i wanted to ride it so was quick but still came up nice.

Ready to go

the tank will be coming off for a re-spray in the next few weeks and a new tail light is needed as one for two of the LED's have blown so its not great but not far off finished.

More thump and less pinging sound from the exhaust, more power there for sure aswell even though i was being gentle and giving it nothing theres a huge difference.
clutch still wont shift properly once hot and at a stand still but works a treat on the move with no slipping or dragging.
so finally

ALL DONE!!
Old 27-06-12, 09:04 AM   #145
Owenski

Its the cold winter starts that I've been advised against, those in the states who live at altitude have found problems with the fuel.

There is a method of running an engine in, its well known I just cant think of the name but it actually means thrashing it as oppsoed to bimbling, its been proven to work much much better. Google it
Old 27-06-12, 04:25 PM   #146
BBadger

but then there's the treat it easy for the first few hundred miles argument.

TBH the people who bored it said take it easy for 500 miles and drop the oil at 250.
So take it easy till 250 just lots of gear changes going up and down the revs but no big load on the engine, let the clutch bed in, oil change and then start building more and more load and high revs onto the engine.
Just need a whole days worth of riding and i can get the first 250 done easy.

As for the fuel part on the big bore, i couldnt see it being an issue with the english climate and altitude but then again drz is a whole different bike but im sure could be sorted with the proper fuelling.

Last edited by BBadger; 27-06-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 28-06-12, 04:34 PM   #147
BBadger

Well am now 180miles into the run in.
most of which was spent running around so tighter than tight country lanes and then beggars lane ( gravely green lane near me)....who needs knobly tyres when youve got a supermoto. No slipping or spinning up even going up a bloody steep hill although i did collect alot of wildlife and camouflage
Old 28-06-12, 04:55 PM   #148
rictus01
Mega Poster

I presume you mean the beggers lane at Gomshall? interesting road.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 07:38 AM   #149
BBadger

the very one.
nice hot dry day meant no mud just the loose gravel which the tyres can handle.
Old 29-06-12, 03:23 PM   #150
Owenski

pah! you dont wanna be taking it near mud! you'll get it dirty lol.
The "inbetweener" drz gets an E model engine in it this weekend