SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-01-08, 08:27 AM   #1
thedonal

Default Which HEL brake line set?

Hullo,

Looking at their catalogue (for my front brakes), it looks like I can either get the two full length hoses from the master cylinder to the calipers, or also the two hoses plus the link pipe from the lever assembly/reservoir to the master cylinder.

It kind of feels like a daft question, but is it strictly necessary to get the second option, or can I just go with the main hoses to the calipers? Will it really make much of a difference without the link hose?

Cheersy

the d
Old 08-01-08, 08:34 AM   #2
pmapp
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which HEL brake line set?

I went with the first option, no real reasoning behind it - just my personal preference.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 08:37 AM   #3
chazzyb

Are you sure the two-pipe versus three-pipe options aren't simply 2-line front and 2-line front+back? Just a thought.

Ignoring their shocking customer service for moment, M&P 'budget' brake lines for the front cost me £20 + P&P and are made by and despatched straight from Goodridge!
Old 08-01-08, 08:38 AM   #4
Alpinestarhero

I think three lines, as its a road set-up and not a race setup?

I got 3 lines when i ordered a goodridge brake line set

Matt
Old 08-01-08, 08:48 AM   #5
thedonal

Chazzy- it does seem to be the for the front and about £30 more (hence the ask!!!)

Matt- I'm confused! Why would less steel hose be a race set up? Surely if there's a rubber hose in the chain it will soften the response a little (enough to notice?), rather than all the pipes being braided?
Old 08-01-08, 08:48 AM   #6
neio79

For the SV as after market its recommended by HEL and Goodridge to have 2F + 1R. A dedicated line to each front caliper apose to a split shared one increases the brake force even more!!
Old 08-01-08, 08:57 AM   #7
pmapp
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
A dedicated line to each front caliper apose to a split shared one increases the brake force even more!!

I suppose that was my personal reasoning behind the 2 lines.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 09:23 AM   #8
petevtwin650

Twin pipe set up for me too. Allows you to get rid of that horrible pipe splitter fitted to the lower yoke.
Old 08-01-08, 09:48 AM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

Both setups are fine, neither will give "more force" as this is determined by the calipers and master cylinder. The 2 line setup is cheaper as there's only 2 lines and 4 banjos. The 3 line setup apes the standard setup and gives a braided line to the splitter on the bottom yoke, then 2 lines down, for this you need an extra braided line, and an extra 2 banjos so it costs more.

Some people prefer the 3 line setup because it looks neater, the 2 long lines can also IMO be a little trickier to bleed if air gets trapped at the top in the new double banjo from the master cylinder, but it's no major biggie. You can also have a 3rd type of 2 line setup: A single long line down to one caliper, then a short link line over the mudguard to the 2nd caliper. Again this is a nice neat way to do it, but less common, and thus tends to cost more than the 2 long line setup.

In real terms, once bled there will be no difference that you can feel between any of the above setups, the amount of flex in a braided line is tiny, so pick the one that you like the look of and suits your wallet.
Old 08-01-08, 11:13 AM   #10
thedonal

OK- gotcher, I think. So- I guess, if I'm switching from using the splitter to both lines out of the master cylinder, the HEL kit will contain all I need for connecting to the m.c?