SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-03-14, 08:36 AM   #11
Mauler

Default Re: Biking is a real pain to get into nowadays.

Personally I think that more training and hoops is a good thing, it's the bloody cost that winds me up. I had two offs while learning on my 125, didn't pass any of the tests first time (unlike my driving test 18 years ago, very frustrating) but I kept at it, got my SV to do up - http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=200969 and passed. It took longer than I would've liked but having to do two modules more than once undoubtedly made me a better rider, I shudder to think how my riding would've been had I have gone from my 125 to my 650 after just a few hours of faffing about. Time spent in training is time well spent, IMO.

Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 08:42 AM   #12
Mauler

Arrow Re: Biking is a real pain to get into nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
But you can't do the test on a 125 can you?

Only if you want to keep riding a 125cc forever. The size of bike you pass your test on is the license that you'll get, 600cc is a license to ride anything.

There ARE a few insurers who will insure a learner rider on a bigger bike, I spoke to one and was considering it myself to avoid bike hire for training. The legal requirements are still there; the bike needs to be road legal with tax & MOT, you still need L-plates and to be accompanied by a legit trainer in full radio contact at all times. The catch is that you get a time limit to pass your test (30 days I was quoted) and after that I assume that the insurance is void and you have to go through the deposit and arranging it all again. In the end I didn't bother and just paid to do my mods again (and fortunately passed).

Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 08:50 AM   #13
Red Herring
Mega Poster

It rather depends on what age the OP is. I'm guessing he is over 24 as he talks about getting a "big bike" licence. I know the new rules are complicated but my understanding is that the only way for him to go straight to "big bikes" is to do direct access, which (I agree with the OP on this) is set up for organized schools with their own bikes and instructors. The alternative for a person of his age is to pass his test on the 125 (11kw actually) and then ride his SV restricted to 35kw for two years and then upgrade to full power via another test. This is much the same as it was for a lot of you except the upgrade is no longer automatic.

Much as we would all like to see it go back to the days when a learner could ride a 250 and then anything on passing his test you might want to consider that it was the carnage resulting from such practices that led to the restrictions we have these days.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 08:55 AM   #14
Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Much as we would all like to see it go back to the days when a learner could ride a 250 and then anything on passing his test you might want to consider that it was the carnage resulting from such practices that led to the restrictions we have these days.
...however it did a great deal for strengthening the gene pool though
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 08:55 AM   #15
atassiedevil

You can if you want an A1 License, which is about the most pointless thing ever, IMHO.
Old 31-03-14, 09:05 AM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
It rather depends on what age the OP is. I'm guessing he is over 24 as he talks about getting a "big bike" licence. I know the new rules are complicated but my understanding is that the only way for him to go straight to "big bikes" is to do direct access, which (I agree with the OP on this) is set up for organized schools with their own bikes and instructors. The alternative for a person of his age is to pass his test on the 125 (11kw actually) and then ride his SV restricted to 35kw for two years and then upgrade to full power via another test. This is much the same as it was for a lot of you except the upgrade is no longer automatic.

I'm going to correct myself before someone else does.... I did say the rules were complicated didn't I!

It seems that if you take your test on a 125 you are stuck with that for two years. However if the OP is over 19 he can do direct access on his restricted SV and get an A2 licence, but if he's over 24 he might just as well shell out and go the whole hog by paying out for direct access onto a proper bike....

Having now been forced into spending a whole hour trying to suss out all these new rules I have had a complete change of position. Getting into biking these days is a real PAIN!!!!!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 09:17 AM   #17
atassiedevil

It is quite complicated, but its not too hard to understand. The main point is there are minimum ages now, you can have an A2 or A full bike license.
Full license categories are as follows.

A1 = 125cc max, can carry passengers, can use motorways and drive anywhere in europe. You require current CBT/Theory to do this test, plus the standard MOD1 and MOD2 practical tests passed on a 125cc motorcycle.

A2 = Restricted full license. Max 46.6 Bhp (35Kw) with a maximum power to weight ratio of .2kw/kg You cannot take the A2 test before you are 19, and you must have a current CBT/Theory to do this test, plus the standard MOD1 and MOD2 practical tests.

A license = Full, unrestricted access to all motorcycles. You can either take DAS (Direct access) over the age of 24 (CBT then theory then MOD1 then MOD2) , or once you are 21 AND have had an A2 license for over 2 years, you can retake both practical tests (MOD1 + MOD2) on a machine of over 50bhp and 600cc. You must also have a valid theory test to do this, which means if you're moving from an A2 license to an A license, you will need to retake your theory. CBT is deferred, as you already have a "full" license.

Last edited by atassiedevil; 31-03-14 at 09:19 AM.
Old 31-03-14, 10:01 AM   #18
SvNewbie

The DAS course is obviously quite expensive. It is a real shame they have removed the pass on a 125cc and get an automatic upgrade route into biking because I'm sure the cost alone will put plenty of people off doing it.

That being said, I found the DAS course to be great fun. I did it with some good instructors and nice clean XJ6 bikes.

I passed both tests first time, but still can't ride a bike for peanuts so I guess that doesn't say much
Old 31-03-14, 10:33 AM   #19
JM2

Well now there's the additional A class doesn't help.
Yes a pain for you, but they've made the hoops and you've got to play through them. I did see how old you are but DAS is definately they way to go if you are able to (That said all this messing about didn't even exist when I took mine, just a straight progression).
I would never (now) suggest anyone by a bike (in their name) that they haven't a license for (and can insure/tax etc.) this is another example of the pitfalls (didn't know about the 21 days). In another place, someone bought a 600 that they couldn't restrict under the new rules (original engine too many horses - by about 1 IIRC) and ended up selling it !!

Alarms - get rid. Maybe only 1% of them fail in some way or another (usually poor installs - often years later). I ain't going to be that 1% stranded.
"Potting" is okay - bikes are a hostile environments, the trick is to make sure everything is right before you seal it up (used to use it for 'naked' components - less need now everything is in a box with connectors).
JM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 12:03 PM   #20
Owenski

I'm all for better motorcycle training but that just sounds like a great way to generate cash for the powers that be.

Well done on passing btw, miles of smiles now