SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-01-15, 02:48 PM   #11
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO: PCP Do's and Do Nots?

Because we get a big Fat discount through Nissan I have my car on PCP.
The mileages the killer as well 6,000 pa is never going to work for me and the mrs who goes miles with dog shows and before that family(though thats now stopped for obvious reasons).
I keep the car for two years in general ,Though I did out one after 6 months

Last edited by NTECUK; 06-01-15 at 02:49 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 03:08 PM   #12
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Not sure if this is the same subject, but look a this thread?

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=215132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
Hiya Mavi, how you doing pal?

Thanks for the link, I did check out Drive the deal before approaching Audi directly. I showed the audi salesman my research/homework inc the drive the deal page and we agreed quite quickly a better deal than they offered we beat it down even further when I returned to the dealer in late December... Apparently December is the best time to negotiate a deal as the targets they have do not reflect the drop in sales on the run up to xmas. Something I will MOST CERTAINLY use to my advantage in future.
Matt

I have ordered a car through our company scheme in the end as that works out better for me financially. If the option of a company car was not there (albeit funded by me) then I think a PCP would have been the best option as I did not want to put in a large deposit. As you rightly say you can get some deals by shopping around and playing hard ball, but even the end of the month deals could not beat the (net of tax and BIK) monthly payments for our car scheme.

One interesting thing I did find out is that the lease companies get 20-25% discount on retail price so that is the price to shoot for IMO. Why shouldn't we get 20% off? However the best discount I managed was about 12% through drive-the-deal.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 03:37 PM   #13
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Many reasons for going for a new car are mainly due to experience, 2nd hand cars have only ever cost me money above what I budgeted. For example I've had a 3 series before that I took a loan out for. The loan repayments were about my budget the remainder of which I put to one side each month. Then general issues began causing bigger and bigger bills before I had little choice than to sell the car pay off the loan and buy a cheap run around... then another... then another etc you get the picture. However my wife shortly before I bought the 3 series bought a brand new golf, she made her payments and ran the car. Only this year has that golf been sold and outside of MOT and consumables the only expense we have ever had is for a rear brake calliper that died.
I understand where you're coming from with regards to maintainence but you'd have to take be very unlucky to spend more in maintainence on a 5ish year old car then you would lose in depriciation on a new one.

I've been trying to convince myself for the past year a brand new car will work out cheaper but the sums just don't add up.
Old 06-01-15, 11:58 PM   #14
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
I've been trying to convince myself for the past year a brand new car will work out cheaper but the sums just don't add up.
I agree, but I've put up with me old shed long enough and I've only ever had one new car before. So for me want has overridden economics.( Although the new motor vehicle should do twice the mpg of current shed)

Sent from my HTC One
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 08:06 AM   #15
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Hiya Mavi, how you doing pal?.
Sorry didn't see this yesterday, yep I'm fine.

new baby, new job still got time for cycling?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 10:47 AM   #16
keith_d
Mega Poster

I saw the title of this thread and completely misunderstood. I thought it was referring to 'Angel Dust'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phencyclidine

Maybe I'm just showing my age.

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 11:35 AM   #17
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I agree, but I've put up with me old shed long enough and I've only ever had one new car before. So for me want has overridden economics.( Although the new motor vehicle should do twice the mpg of current shed)

Sent from my HTC One

Similar for me the 184 is the car I WANT and I'm after the best way to get that car. They're isn't a 5yr old 2nd hand option, I could maybe get a 2/3 year old one but the price of nearly new against the PCP deals on New ones which I did look into meant a saving of around £25 a month or as I saw it £1200 over the 48 months which wont even pay for the 4 new tyres I'll need no doubt need thanks to the previous owners use. Not to mention the other things like brakes etc.

Mavi,
No in honesty, the pushbike hasn't been off the hooks in 2014 at all. Partly because this job that I finish this week is much further from home than previously when I used to commute... however the new new job I start in 2 weeks is even closer than I used to commute plus they have showers so I most certainly will be doing it in 2015.
Old 07-01-15, 02:08 PM   #18
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:

Mavi,
No in honesty, the pushbike hasn't been off the hooks in 2014 at all. Partly because this job that I finish this week is much further from home than previously when I used to commute... however the new new job I start in 2 weeks is even closer than I used to commute plus they have showers so I most certainly will be doing it in 2015.
That's good, 2014 wasn't a great year for my cycling, hopefully this year will be better
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote