SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 10-02-08, 10:07 PM   #1
5hort5

Default Michelin Pilot Road 2

Michelin Pilot Road 2's? Any one used them? What do you think? I have Pilot sports on at the mo but they are in need of replacement and I would like something that lasts a touch longer than 2500 miles but has good grip to - oooo - the old question of wear against grip lol.

Thanks for you input in advance.
5hort5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 10:09 PM   #2
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2

Running PR 2's at the moment. On our 3rd rear and 2nd front. Getting around 5,000 to a rear, and we're two-up all the time.

Had Diablo's before and got around 3,000 to a rear, so a big improvement. Great in the dry, fantastic in the wet.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 07:04 AM   #3
simon27

I'm on my first set of these (fitted last week), and IMO are SO grippy compared to OE Dunlops. My confidence in the bike's cornering ability is slowly returning now it doesn't feel like i'm going to fall off! I did a lot of research before deciding which boots to fit. Incidentally, my tyre fitter was recommending Dunlop Roadsmarts above the PR2's based on feedback he'd recieved. I've lost faith in Dunlop which is why I had PR2's
I have only 1 regret with these tyres - not fitting them to the bike from day 1!
Old 11-02-08, 08:04 AM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon27 View Post
I'm on my first set of these (fitted last week), and IMO are SO grippy compared to OE Dunlops. My confidence in the bike's cornering ability is slowly returning now it doesn't feel like i'm going to fall off! I did a lot of research before deciding which boots to fit. Incidentally, my tyre fitter was recommending Dunlop Roadsmarts above the PR2's based on feedback he'd recieved. I've lost faith in Dunlop which is why I had PR2's
I have only 1 regret with these tyres - not fitting them to the bike from day 1!
How many miles had you done on the originals, and is the SV your 1st bike ?

Had a VERY similar experience when I switched to PR2's, but it WAS pointed out to me that due to having has them on since the SV was new and then with the way I rode, the BT220's were, to be fair, quite squared off.

So the PR2's with their new profile would have an effect on how the bike handled, but then nre BT220's would have had some of that effect.

Plus there is the "in your head" aspect of the bad press the BT220's get that may have a bikker effect than you think

But enjoy the PR2's, I know I did.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 08:48 AM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

do a search, a lot has been said on this subject. I use them myself and rate them high.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 08:55 AM   #6
rob13

When I bought my Conti RAs last year (2nd set) I was scratching for opinions on these as they were quite new. Are there many who have had RA's now that have switched to PR2s and found them better?
Old 11-02-08, 11:13 AM   #7
Blue_SV650S

unless you like the taste of tarmac, or want to lose all faith in grip, DON'T buy Michelins!! ... I'd rather have some cheng shin remoulds or my right nut chopped off over buying a pair of Michelins ... that is all ...

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 11-02-08 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-02-08, 11:16 AM   #8
thebluelion

Diablo stradas here ive done about 8000 on them need a new rear shortly good wearing tire and good in wet and dry
Old 11-02-08, 12:27 PM   #9
TimTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
When I bought my Conti RAs last year (2nd set) I was scratching for opinions on these as they were quite new. Are there many who have had RA's now that have switched to PR2s and found them better?
I went from the OE Dunlops to Contis and then to PR2s. As you can imagine, the first change was a real eye-opener and I was very impressed with the Contis. Then in autumn last year I got a set of PR2s and I've not been entirely confident with them. Nothing I can really put my finger on, which makes me suspect it might be a mental rather than actual problem. It just feels like they take longer to get up to operating temperature and stick properly.

If you're happy with the Contis I would say you're better off sticking with them. They're quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins, for one thing.
Old 11-02-08, 12:39 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
unless you like the taste of tarmac, or want to lose all faith in grip, DON'T buy Michelins!! ... I'd rather have some cheng shin remoulds or my right nut chopped off over buying a pair of Michelins ... that is all ...
Blue, that's a pretty sweeping statement.

In the past, I've had the stock Dunlops on the bike, and they were OK (not knowing much different on a big bike). Then I changed to Z6's. They were great! Plenty of grip, last for ages.

Then I took a gamble, and went for the Michelin PR2s. And you know what, I'm glad I did! They're even better than the Z6's IMO.

I've tasted tarmac twice on the Z6s, and have yet to try it on PR2s (both cases in the past were my fault, not the tyres), and as for no grip, my pegs say differently after they have tasted tarmac.