SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-09-08, 10:26 AM   #1
neillfergie

Smile Charlie Boorman - by any means

After being so jealous of Ewan and Charlie going round and down the world on their BMW's i noticed some trails on BBC for this new show.

First big surprise was the lack of Ewan, though he made a cameo appearance in this first episode. Second big surprise was he was going from Wicklow to Sydney using all different kinds of vehicles not just bikes (though there will be plenty of them I'm sure).

Basically it was a fantastic show and no doubt will be a great series when they get to the wilder parts of the world but if you missed it try to catch a repeat.

next episode is Sunday at 8.

question is am i the only one who craves this level of travel and adventure to escape the rat race or is it common on the .org? and if so does anyone else have plans to or ideas of what they would love to do?
Old 08-09-08, 10:34 AM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Charlie Boorman - by any means

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillfergie View Post
question is am i the only one who craves this level of travel and adventure to escape the rat race or is it common on the .org? and if so does anyone else have plans to or ideas of what they would love to do?
no, if i could afford the massive backup crew i'd love to do the road of bones they did back in TLWR
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 10:35 AM   #3
suzsv650

I was on this last night!!!!!!!!

I was at the front left, Blue R6 with a Blue over Flease with Yellow Rossi Lid
Old 08-09-08, 11:01 AM   #4
custard

would love to do it meself...

loved LWR but cant help shake the feeling that this just more exposure for Mr Borman we shall see.
Old 08-09-08, 11:15 AM   #5
chasey

Again I would love to do something like this. I envy anyone that has the time/money! Anyone remember the cyclists they met up with on LWD (might've been LWR)? I wouldn't cycle...motorbike would be more my thing.

One day maybe...when someone I know wins the lottery
Old 08-09-08, 11:18 AM   #6
Tim in Belgium

I actually quite enjoyed last night's show, at least they seem happy in being muppets at sailing, just waiting for an episode where they get behind schedule and start moaning, but so far so good.
Old 08-09-08, 11:19 AM   #7
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Loved both of the long ways and watching by any means made me even more jealous. Would love to be able to do something like this. About 3 years ago I was planning a trip to Canada to kayak the fur trade route about 2000miles. Unfortunately money or lack of meant I couldn't do it.

If you like stories like this you really should give The Moonshine Mule by Tom Fremantle a good read. Its about this guy who walks from Mexico to Manhattan (2700miles) with a Mule. Absolutely amazing book and fantastic story of human generosity and endurance.

Incidentely Tom Fremantle also rode a bicycle from Swanbourne, England to Swanbourne Austrailia it took him 17months he also wrote a book called Johnny Gingers last ride.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 11:25 AM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I did the Long Way to Bordeaux..does that count...lol
I did enjoy the show last night. Only thing is you eventually get bored of these sort of shows. They may be doing something different but its all the same thing so to speak, it wasn't a make it up as you go along show...it was all by careful pre-arranged travel. Yeah the other two were arranged travel but it had very unpredictable stuff going on.

Its bit like Top Gear, all the same type o thing, but watching it still makes good viewing.

He needs some new music though...they were using the long way down track but without the singing, and if it wasn't...even that was the same style

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 11:25 AM   #9
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillfergie View Post
First big surprise was the lack of Ewan
Ewan has a VERY busy acting career whereas Charley's acting seems more like a hobby than a career, giving him the time to do this stuff.

Quite looking forward to the series but going off the first one, it seems a little too pre-planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
it wasn't a make it up as you go along show...it was all by careful pre-arranged travel
Doh! Beat me to it.
Old 08-09-08, 11:33 AM   #10
neillfergie

[quote=dizzyblonde;1618271 He needs some new music though...they were using the long way down track but without the singing, and if it wasn't...even that was the same style[/quote]

Think it said Jameroquai did the music for this one?

anyway id rather have Charlie than Ewan as they are both great blokes but you get the impression life in general is a hobby for Charlie, i like that laid back attitude.

also i noticed it was all heavily organised now when they were in the uk but i get the impression that it will become more and more loose the further east they go so it should be interesting.

i just hate this constant rat race we are all in in the uk sometimes and wish i could just take off and do something mad. your right though funding would be an issue?