SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-03-09, 06:58 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Yamaha FZ1S Fazer

Sooo they've been around in various forms since...what, 2001? So, whos got one, whos had one, what did you think, what did you do to the bike to make it better? I like the look of the latest incarnation (except I would drop that big exhaust swiftly for a smaller, tidier unit). I understand the latest ones have some issues with fuel economy and snatchy FI..?

Matt
Old 28-03-09, 07:04 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Yamaha FZ1S Fazer

I like the look of the original version.By all accounts its a stonking bike too.
Old 28-03-09, 07:22 PM   #3
ThEGr33k

My mate has one and likes it a lot (older version). Im sure you cant go wrong with one, very strong engine.

Only thing I think he doesnt like so much is the tiny screen. No biggie though
Old 28-03-09, 08:34 PM   #4
600+

me and New_Leaf have the latest version of it

personally I love it! plenty of power and plenty to unleash with a PCIII.....I'm currently counting 144ponnies on the rear wheel plenty more than I will ever use but makes an interesting experience opening the throttle or when keeping the bike above 6k rpm.

Many parts are from the R1 - such as the front forks which a few have changed to take advantage of the better brakes as well.

Basically for me is a very good bike that combines touring and sport performance. Only the '06 has a snatchy throttle where basically a sort of a gap appears. This can be fixed by either proper mapping with a PCIII or by adding an electrical type of gadget on the loom.

Fuel economy depends. Touring I can get about 140miles out of the tank with 2 up and fully loaded. tbh though after 1hr or 1hr and half I would like to stop to stretch my legs and take the opportunity to refuel as well. For me that is not an issue. obviously people with larger tanks (i.e. VFR owners, or older FZ1 version) will say they prefer theirs. To me it's just extra weight and if I wanted fuel economy I'd buy a diesel
Old 29-03-09, 12:04 PM   #5
steveg

I've quite fancied one of the first gen fazer thous , I had a first gen fazer 600 and that was a cracking bike , bet the thou with the R1 mill is a cracker and looks to be really practical , think it will also have 6k serval intervals and valve clearance checks every 24 k which helps with running costs.

Its on my list of maybe's currently including Blackbird , Bmw r1100s , sv1000s , firestorm , Falco , sprint rs ......

cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf

Last edited by steveg; 29-03-09 at 12:09 PM.
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-09, 04:06 PM   #6
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

The old ones had budget bouncy suspension, fine on a 70bhp sv but with 120? Be knackered by 20k unless it been ridden by a little old lady. (I would snap one of those up in a minute!)

Revvy engine , a lot of go at the top-end.

Cheap and nasty looking fairing.

Parts bin special.

It has a Yamaha clutch. LOL.

Big touring tank 22l i think, comfy for two. Does hard luggage.

A lot of bang for yer buck.

Fast rot EXUP section of the zorst. Looks tatty in no time.

I will have a yellow one with the black engine.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-09, 04:15 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
I've quite fancied one of the first gen fazer thous , I had a first gen fazer 600 and that was a cracking bike , bet the thou with the R1 mill is a cracker and looks to be really practical , think it will also have 6k serval intervals and valve clearance checks every 24 k which helps with running costs.

Its on my list of maybe's currently including Blackbird , Bmw r1100s , sv1000s , firestorm , Falco , sprint rs ......

cheers Steve
Yamaha service intervals are one thing that attracts me to yamaha's, especially the valve clearance checks. The less times I have to get inside that bit of the engine, the better! 6k oil change intervals is perfect, since I would change oil at 5k anyway.

Stramasher, i cant tell if your trying to put me off it or expressing an opinon? I think the latest FZ1's look really really nice, and have what look like a good set of OEM handlebars (they are actualy wide, not just the same width as clip-ons but sit up and beg style). EXUP is always a problem, and similar exhaust valve designs by other manufactures are a trouble area. I think the best thing is to take them apart, grease them up with some good, high-temp resistant grease on a reasonably regular interval (perhaps with each oil change) although I am saying this without actualy knowing what that job would be like...

600+ : thanks, I'll look to get a 2007 or newer one then. The FI gremlins is the one thing that did concern me, since whatever bike I get next I will want smooth fuelling from low down. Mind you, my SV isnt the smoothest thing by any means, and I'm fine with it. 130 miles between fill-ups is fine for me too, at that point i probably need a wee

Soooo thats another bike to put on the list of bikes I would love to have alongside the SV.
Old 29-03-09, 04:57 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Oh, and guys, if you have any pictures of your FZ1's, post them up and tempt me. The ones with full lugage / looking like they are being used are welcome

whats the quality of finish like BTW?