SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-19, 06:30 PM   #1
LiamHarvison

Angry Bike not starting, after I just sold it... '10 SVS

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been in a thread before, however I can't seem to find anything from a search. I just sold my 2010 SVS, and typically it's been working fine until I dropped it of (typically). The bike has now decided not to start... I turn the ignition on, fuel pump primes, secondary throttle valves don't move (which is unusual), or move very slowly back when the ignition is turned off. Relay clicks when the starter button is pressed, however at the same time all the lights turn off along with the dash. Sometimes holding the button makes the relay click rapidly, along with flashing the dash & lights on and off.

I'm hoping it's simply a low or old battery that can't hold its charge properly. The bike has been garaged for a while, however has started perfectly the last few times and wasn't a problem when riding it to drop it off.

Hopefully someone could shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
LiamHarvison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 06:44 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike not starting, after I just sold it... '10 SVS

It goes like this, start relay closes and connects starter motor to battery, the current being drawn drops battery voltage too low to hold relay closed, relay drops out relieving load on battery , battery voltage rises, relay closes connecting starter motor to battery, voltage drops, starter relay opens,.......

This is normally the sign of either a dodgy battery or a bad connection on battery.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 06:47 PM   #3
LiamHarvison

Default Re: Bike not starting, after I just sold it... '10 SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
It goes like this, start relay closes and connects starter motor to battery, the current being drawn drops battery voltage too low to hold relay closed, relay drops out relieving load on battery , battery voltage rises, relay closes connecting starter motor to battery, voltage drops, starter relay opens,.......

This is normally the sign of either a dodgy battery or a bad connection on battery.
Thanks a lot for the reply, much appreciated! I've ordered a new battery to see if we can get it working.
LiamHarvison is offline   Reply With Quote