SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-02-18, 09:38 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default HTPC + 4k

any peeps on here using an HTPC with a 4k tv for watching 4k bluray.. not netflix content. i'm talking proper 4k shiny disc.

i'm about to upgrade the graphics on my HTPC ''kodi'' and want to future proof it as sorts for when i get a 4k tv.

the low down. i dont download stuff from the internet and prefer to actually buy content to which i have a pretty large dvd/bluray collection all ripped onto my htpc (about 20tb of it). yes i'm a film junkie.

if the answer is 'yes i have a htpc connected to my tv playing proper 4k content' then what graphics card are you using?

i dont want to buy a duffer but at the same time spend too much. i was looking at a 1050ti 4gig but if i can get away with a 1030 2gig then i will get that.

ooohhh and i DONT PLAY VIDEO GAMES.....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-18, 06:51 AM   #2
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: HTPC + 4k

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW Edition .
Son's old card before he upgrade.
It's not quite tbh
Old 15-02-18, 08:46 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW Edition .
Son's old card before he upgrade.
It's not quite tbh
too many pennies... looking for a cheeper alternative.
Old 15-02-18, 11:33 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

having looked a bit harder.. 1030 is out as no harware decoding so its looking like a 1050.

watched waht little youtube vids i could see on the subject and it looks like the 1050 2gig is all i need.

there is very very little content on the net about HTPC graphics and 4k 10bit video playback and it all seams to be based around blooody gaming.
Old 16-02-18, 08:09 AM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Why upgrade now when you don't have a tv and there's not many discs out? It'll only get cheaper if you wait
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-18, 10:56 AM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Why upgrade now when you don't have a tv and there's not many discs out? It'll only get cheaper if you wait
Tbh there quite alot of discs if you look around.
And yes even the sounds better.
Ask neighbors lol ops.

eBay the 970 goes for£100 -75 that's not really bad.
Old 16-02-18, 02:52 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
few reasons.
the card (R7 250 1gig) in my day to day (the one i'm using just now) is getting flakey and the one in the 'kodi' computer is ok (R7 250 2gig).

ok so both the R7 250 do hardware decoding at 1080p no problem so thats fine but they dont use UEFI for fast booting. since i will be installing windows 10 on the 'kodi' which uses M.2 NVMe HDD i want to make extra use of the fast booting. the 1050 has UEFI and is a newer gen card so will have a lot more capability than the old R7.

if in the future i need to upgrade the kodi then i have the 1050 for this computer.

the whole point in hardware decoding is so i can use a cheep CPU as the CPU power is not needed for playing video files/dvd/bluray.

i dont do gaming and the kodi is used purley for watching movies.

when the price of 4k oled tv's come down to a resonable level then i will be all set to just plug the HTPC (kodi) box in without having to spend extra at the time on upgrading the HTPC.

i supose i could offset the price of the new graphics card by selling my OPPO BDP93 which i never use.
Old 16-02-18, 03:30 PM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

OWhat about the gtx750 ti for postage
Old 16-02-18, 04:21 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
OWhat about the gtx750 ti for postage
wont do high enough frame rate at 4k over HDMI. for pure 4k you need 60hz over hdmi to play shiny disc at full native.

its looking like i'm going to have to splash out on a 1050ti 4gig to get all the features and power for 4k @60hz 10bit over hdmi
Old 20-02-18, 08:02 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

pushed the button on a Gigabyte GTX 1050ti G1 so should be more than enough to play 4k@60hz 10bit UHD.

now i just need a telly to go with it and i'm all set

the more i looked into playing shiny disc 4k the more i found out that its not really possible so looks like ripping it to mkv 1-1 is the only way.