SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-09-09, 04:22 PM   #1
charlieferguson

Default Tight spot on the chain already?

Hi ya guys. me again, as mentioned on a previous thread, i have recently had a new set of sprockets and chain put on

Have been keeping it lubed with wax as best i can since i got it, I've probably done about 1500 miles on it so far, i was lubing my chain and wheeling it forward, lubing it and wheeling it etc when i noticed that it was tight in one specific place. Majority of the chain is with in play parameters, but is the tight spot normal?

What causes a chain to get a tight spot?

info would be appreciated

Chas
Old 14-09-09, 09:38 PM   #2
s7uyj

Default Re: TIght spot on the chain already?!

My last bike got that, the actual chain and sprocket were in good cond but it had a tight spot, not sure for certain but i would be suspect of the chain wax building up in the links, possibly causing a tight spot.
I'd try properly cleaning the chain and getting all the old wax off see if that helps? worht a punt if not already done!
Old 15-09-09, 07:51 AM   #3
warrenhewitt10

check along the length of the chain for any seized links, but yeh as s7uyj says give it a good clean, if the tight spot isnt that bad i wouldnt worry about it, just make sure that when ur adjusting it you adjust it making sure the tight spot is taken into account, it can break many things if the chain is far too tight
Old 15-09-09, 05:47 PM   #4
charlieferguson

thanks guys and gals, i'll keep an eye on it, there is about 25mm play most of the way round till you get to the tight spot, which only has 10 mm play perhaps slightly less?

I'll check it for tight links, is hard with out a paddock stand.

surely it cant be a build up of wax in the links? i mean, surely that would mean that after evry 1000 miles or so, i'd have to clean my chain, isn't that a little crazy?
Old 15-09-09, 08:22 PM   #5
warrenhewitt10

my chain gets cleaned and re waxed every couple hundred miles probably, just whenever i get the chance, ul jus have to roll the bike backwards or forwards to check it without a stand, and i think the recommended chain tension is an inch or just less..... i think
Old 15-09-09, 08:27 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

10mm is far too tight. You should adjust the chain to the specified amount (20-30mm) at the tightest part of the chain.
You should clean your chain more often than every 1000 miles

Adjust the tight spot to 20mm then see what the slackest part is like
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-09, 09:45 PM   #7
s7uyj

ye make sure the tight spot isnt really tight, i didnt notice it for a while and ended up knackering my wheel bearing!
Old 15-09-09, 09:56 PM   #8
warrenhewitt10

i think it would be the seals on the output shaft on the engine that would suffer the most, with a completely tight chain and a large pot hole u could be lookin at something majorly bad
Old 16-09-09, 06:56 PM   #9
charlieferguson

Tried to adjust the chain tonight but the rear axle bolt is well and truely on, can't loosen it at all, even bent a spanner trying, god damn it. As soon as i loosen it i will adjust it, have a feeling though that when i loosen it so the tight spot isn't so tight, the rest will be too loose. Why would this have happened? its a new chain!!
Old 16-09-09, 08:07 PM   #10
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieferguson View Post
Tried to adjust the chain tonight but the rear axle bolt is well and truely on, can't loosen it at all, even bent a spanner trying, god damn it. As soon as i loosen it i will adjust it, have a feeling though that when i loosen it so the tight spot isn't so tight, the rest will be too loose. Why would this have happened? its a new chain!!
If you don't keep on top of the adjusting, a new chain can quickly go slack, like in 50miles even. Once it's slack, if you go on the throttle heavy, the chain can stretch in one bit

I take it you have now cleaned it?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote