SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-10, 08:35 AM   #1
krhall

Default Chain Tight Spot - Time for a Change?

When the bike went in for a service and check over I was informed the chain had a tight spot and should be replaced, is this the case?
Old 03-03-10, 08:42 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain Tight Spot - Time for a Change?

Every chain has a tight spot in it from new. Nothing unusual there, I'm sure my 600rr book even says find the tight spot before adjusting the chain.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 08:52 AM   #3
LK-SV

Depends how tight the tight spot is ....
Old 03-03-10, 08:55 AM   #4
SUPERSTARDJ01

how far back on the adjuster markings are you, this should give you a good indication, or check the movement on the chain should be about 1 inch if all else fails get a second opinion.
Old 03-03-10, 09:00 AM   #5
krhall

Safe to do it on the abba stand!
Old 03-03-10, 09:21 AM   #6
RichT

I adjust mine (pointy) on my paddock stand, however I believe the manual says to do it on the side stand... which seemed wrong to me.

My chain has a tight spot. I just make sure the chain is well maintained and that area gets a good dose of extra lube
Old 03-03-10, 09:26 AM   #7
WicklowSV

A good test for the chain is to see if you can lift it off the rearmost part of the rear sprocket.Grab the link nearest the rear of the bike and see if it lifts away from the sprocket. If it only moves a little, the chain's fine. If it moves away from the sprocket a lot then its stretched and could probably do with replacing.

All chains have a tight spot in them from the word go. If it's really tight you could soak it in oil overnight (means having the chain off the rear sprocket though) and give the tight link a good few twists with two pliers to loosen it up...
Old 03-03-10, 09:33 AM   #8
SUPERSTARDJ01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicklowSV View Post
A good test for the chain is to see if you can lift it off the rearmost part of the rear sprocket.Grab the link nearest the rear of the bike and see if it lifts away from the sprocket. If it only moves a little, the chain's fine. If it moves away from the sprocket a lot then its stretched and could probably do with replacing.
I was always told this means the sprockets need changing.
Old 03-03-10, 09:36 AM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The comment above is correct - very few chains wear completely evenly, meaning that just about every chain that isn't brand new almost certainly will have a spot where the chain runs tighter.
This is not in doubt - the question is; can the chain be adjusted such that the tightest and slackest points are within acceptable limits? The difference can be so great that replacing the chain is necessary.
This is rare - but not unknown.

Kev: Go back to the shop, ask them to demonstrate the problem to you.

Chain adjustment changes as the suspension moves, when the front sprocket, the swingarm pivot and the rear sprocket are in line the chain will be at its tightest point, chain adjustment must take account of this, and if the figure for chain slack is given with the bike on its wheels a correction may be necessary if the adjustment is made with the weight of the bike removed from the suspension, that is; on a stand that supports from the pivot, not the swingarm.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:17 AM   #10
krhall

Another point I am thinking of though, is that my commute is just about to increase from 25 miles per day to 70, so am thinking that a new chain, sprockets and a scott oiler might be a reasonable investment, if there is somewhere for the resevoir to go. Which I think there is from a previous post.

All that will cost a few bob though.