SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-05, 11:42 AM   #1
Philbo

Default Oxford 1st time vs Oxford humpback panniers

Hi Folks,
Looking for some soft luggage for the bike and can't decide which way to go. I already have a blue Oxford humpback tailpack, and was all set to buy the matching panniers. Then I noticed the price tag!

In short I can spend £70 for Oxford humpback panniers to match my tailpack, (normally £100), or spend £70 for a full set of Oxford 1st time luggage in black!

Bearing in mind I don't fancy using a tankbag anyway, what's the better deal? Any recommendations / horror stories?

Cheers,
Phil.
Old 13-01-05, 11:58 AM   #2
Mr Toad

Yo

I've got the Oxford Sports panniers - 2003 model, got 'em from Infinity last summer as a special offer - £60

Looks like they're still doing the offer - see here -
http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/p...p?ProductID=48

There OK - pretty waterproof as standard, and come with a waterproof covering as well. Bit worried by them drooping onto the exhaust, but this hasn't happened - they seem to bottom out about an inch above. You wouldn't be able to use them with a high level exhaust mind you

I've had the bike over the ton, with the panniers fully expanded, and it was stable, so all in all I'd be happy with another pair. I think the 2004 model has a slightly different opening - flap lifts up, rather than a zip round the edge, but the old ones are fine.

Just remember to put them on the right way round, the blunt end goes at the front . . . first time I put them on to ride home from work I had them back to front
Old 13-01-05, 12:02 PM   #3
Grinch

I also had the Oxford Sports panniers, and the tail pack on my SV. Did over 1700 miles on them going to the south of France and back. Been at 120 with them all fully extend and the bike seemed to handle just fine, though the wife was on the back 2, which helped plant the bike more.
Got them off ebay on the cheap if I remember correctly.. not more than 60-70 quid for the panniers about 50 quid for the tail pack. Though I can't remember for sure.
Old 13-01-05, 12:08 PM   #4
greeno76

I have to say that I'm slightly dissappointed with mine (Oxford Sports). The stitching has come apart at the zip - without excess force applied- and the loops for the straps have come off. I've only had them 15 months or so with very infrequent use.

I find they aren't brillantly supported and droop quite a bit. Also the velcro that goes under the pillion seat doesn't quite reach far enough to make it useful and secure.

However, they are guaranteed for life so that's a considerable consolation.
At £60 I'd say they're probably worth getting but they're not the ideal solution.

- Jason
Old 13-01-05, 12:16 PM   #5
Cronos

If I were you I'd go for the humpback in blue only because they'll look so much better on your bike than the black 1st Time luggage.

You should also re-think not getting a tank bag. I resisted getting one of these until very recently and I must say it's the most practical piece of luggage I've got. I went for the magnetic Oxford Sports Expander and wouldn't be without it now. (Hope I don't sound like a bird talking about her handbag!)
Old 13-01-05, 12:33 PM   #6
Philbo

Hmmm...Thanks for the replies guys. I think i'm going to be a ponce and go for the humpack panniers in blue, just cos they'll match the bike!
Phil.
Old 13-01-05, 12:41 PM   #7
Iansv

I've got the tailpack and panniers in the sports range, So long as you put them on well they don't sag too badly, had loads of stuff in em and fairly waterproof...

had em not fly off at 130mph (on a private road) so fairly stable too
Old 13-01-05, 12:56 PM   #8
Ceri JC

I've got the firstime luggage set and I've never actually used the panniers. I've never needed to carry more than a tankbag and tailpack's worth of stuff. Tankbag is the most frequent, I can fit a pair of trainers and change of clothers in there, all you need for a weekend really

I had a bit of a scare using it last night, as usual, I check I could move from full lock left, to right before setting off. About 5 seconds after setting off, I couldn't turn left so had to stop. Turns out the headstock strap had got caught. Fortunately, I was still in a carp park, doing about 5 mph, so it wasn't serious.

I reckon the headstock strap does more harm than good- if the magnetic pads came unstuck and it fell off, it'd go to one side or the other and prevent you turning. Call me selfish, but I'd rather the tankbag fell off and onto the road thank do that...
Old 13-01-05, 01:21 PM   #9
Nick762

I picked my Sports Panniers up at Infinity last year as well. For 40 quid it seemed like a good deal but to be honest they are just too big! I have never used them and they have spent the last six months hanging from the garage roof.

I believe that Oxford actually recommend the Humpback range for smaller bikes like the SV. I've stuck with my tailpack.
Old 13-01-05, 02:09 PM   #10
Mogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
...Turns out the headstock strap had got caught. Fortunately, I was still in a carp park, doing about 5 mph, so it wasn't serious....
I have the Oxford Sports Compact. That's magnetic and also uses the headstock strap. I too found the strap poor if fitted according to the advice provided. I've now fitted the strap below the two lugs that hold the tank on, but I had to cut the stitching of the strap to get the clip off in order to tread it through.

Philbo, see if you can borrow one on trial, once you get used to it they're great.