SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 06-05-05, 04:25 PM   #1
Kev650r

Default Michelin Pilot power rear very nice.....

I just put a Michelin pilot power rear on instead of my usual dunlop d208f. The Mich is very confidence inspiring and seems to transition much much faster. I can really tell the dunlop front is holding me back now. Will change it to Mich when it wears out. Anyone else put pilot's on thier bike. What do you think? Oh yeah and now I don't have chicken strips anymore. Wore it right to the sidewall. Something I could never do with a dunlop. I guess its the geometry of the tire or the fact that I feel safer leaning farther? Any ideas.
Old 06-05-05, 04:53 PM   #2
jon

I was just about to grumble about the speed at which Michelins warm up on the UK roads then i realised you arn't quite uk based. Explains a lot!

They do seem to have problems warming up this side of the pond, as my car tyres did (pilot sports). I've just replaced them with the newest compound and they're warming up MUCH faster, i wonder if the bike tyres have gone the same way...
Old 06-05-05, 04:55 PM   #3
jonboy

The Pilot Power is by all accounts a better tyre than the Pilot Sport so I would think that it's warm up time is much improved.

Old 06-05-05, 04:59 PM   #4
Kev650r

Yeah I would have to say the pavement here is a tad warmer than over there. But I am really surprised by the grip these tires have. And I should get better mileage too. I was only gettting 850-1000 miles to a rear dunlop. But I drive very aggressively. Might have something to do with it.
Old 07-05-05, 06:42 PM   #5
daddy_sperm

The new pilot powers have a harder mid section with softer edges to help stop flattening in the middle and aid better turning (possibly the reason for no longer having chicken strips)... been thinking about these for my bike, never heard that about the warming up though
Old 07-05-05, 06:50 PM   #6
hall13uk

just got a set of bridgestone 010 for my k4 svs they are grea i love them much better than stanard spotmax crap
Old 10-05-05, 06:57 AM   #7
cyberpunk

Default about michelin power

Hi all i had a honda hornet 600 with metzeler sportec M1 they were nice
but i got my sv and i put a pair of powers, they are perfect i will try to send you pictures of my front tire it's all steped over (if this is the right word)
and not in a race track , on public road

Vasilis Ventirozos
=============
Sv 650 k3
yoshimura exaust
Kn filter
remapped
WP fork springs
WP rear shock
Old 10-05-05, 07:47 AM   #8
Jezza

Hmmm, i was thinking of getting Sportecs for my SV. Would you rate the Powers as better (than the M1s)?
It's always a bit of a personal preference thing but i'd be interested.
Old 10-05-05, 09:18 AM   #9
cyberpunk

Default about michelin

look i tryed the M1's on a hornet and power on sv
I think that you cant compare different tyres on different bikes
However powers are 7% more soft than M1 and you will get the same mileage
plus that powers are with 04-05 technology and M1's 99 or 00 as far as i remember

If i were you i would wear the powers
Old 10-05-05, 09:21 AM   #10
wyrdness

I've got pilot powers on the Speed Triple. They're supposed to have a fast warm-up time and more grip when cold. They do seem to be incredibly grippy and confidence inspiring, though I haven't pushed them as the bike is still running in.