SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-06, 11:29 AM   #1
Carrot Cruncher

Default Sigma Slipper Clutches

Has anyone used one of these on an SV yet??

If so, whats it like to ride with??

The reason i ask is cause i've gotta habit of snaking the back end in (not purposely!!) and think this would be, albeit an expensive, solution to my prob, just to add a bit of extra protection to me bike.

Me bike is an sv650s k2 if that helps??
Old 22-08-06, 11:47 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Learn to blip the throttle

It' free, you can do it on your own time, and it instantly upgrades down-shifting on every bike you ride
Old 22-08-06, 12:29 PM   #3
fullstop102

And it is good practice to blip the throttle anyway. It gives you better control on downshifts as it raises the revs so the engine doesnt brake the back wheel if you jump two gears. Last thing you want is to go down two gears and have the back step. A blip should sort that out a little more.
Old 22-08-06, 01:17 PM   #4
Baph

Personally I don't blip. I have a habit of using the engine braking as much as possible, shifting down to an appropriate gear & releasing the clutch smoothly whilst holding the brake lightly to show the lights.

But each to their own, and I'll certainly make the effort to try blipping on the way home (and using the clutch for now). Live & learn & all that
Old 22-08-06, 01:42 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

It's a technique, just like clutchless shifting, some people like it, some don't but if the back end of the bike is sliding you need to look at possible techniques to help with this. The 2 above methods are worth trying.
Old 22-08-06, 02:18 PM   #6
Dan_SV

I like the blip personally. And it sounds good as your bike pops and bangs on the overrun.

Sounds the nut's on the gixxer- especially when really ganning it- blip to 11k anyone?

Also, if you change down earlier- and blip harder, you will infact have more engine braking, and less clutch wear.

Did I say I like it?

Dan.
Old 22-08-06, 05:33 PM   #7
Carrot Cruncher

I always blip the throttle on downshifts, been doin it since i was riding mx bikes back when i was 11.

I'd rate myself as a medium-fast rider and am taking to track days like a duck to water so looking to build my bike up to match.
Old 22-08-06, 10:33 PM   #8
Peter Henry

Without meaning to sound rude,but wouldn't a Sigma slipper clutch be worth about 1/3 of the overall price of your bike? I would want to get a whole lot of benefit from any accesory for that kind of layout.
Old 23-08-06, 09:18 AM   #9
Carrot Cruncher

They're about the same price as a full system for an sv.

I know I cud just get a gsxr/r1/zxr that have them as standard but I want my bike to be a bit of a sleeper if you know what I mean.
Old 23-08-06, 10:58 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

There are a couple of guys on SV Rider who've fitted them, they seem very happy with them. If you've got the money to spend, then why not? I wouldn't, but who cares what anyone else says at the end of the day?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote