SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-10-07, 06:25 PM   #1
Al_Sweetman

Default Leaving a motorway - *right* shoulder check??

OK here's the picture.....

For those of you who know it, I was leaving the M5(S) at junction 11A onto the A417/419. Moved over to the left with lots of time to spare, and just as I passed the 300yd sign I noticed in my right mirror some goon flashing his lights trying to get passed all the cars in the outside lane....

Quick check of my speed incase it was (you-know-who) but as they were on the outside lane with no lights attached to the top I decided it was fine.

So the 200yd comes, indicate, 100yd comes, slip road start to peel off. Normally I stay wide to run onto the outside of the two lanes because you get slow lorries on the inside, but something made me double check. Quick glance over right shoulder and yup.. Low and behold, mr Cage Goon came haring across three lanes, swooped onto the slip road and roared off. He was completely oblivious to me, and seemingly to everyone else. It was only me thinking "hmm I wonder"... that saved me from getting squished - and again something similar happened coming off at Tewkesbury (J9) on the way home tonight.

Anyone else had this?

Before I get retorts, I'll admit that I have sometimes left it a bit late to leave a junction, but if I do cut over I'll always make sure I'm not going to endanger anyone (ie cause anyone to take collision avoidance) but he seemed to have a complete disregard for everyone - from the split second glance I got, two cars jammed on the anchors, closely followed by an avoidance swerve and emergency stop-of-sorts by me!

So, from now on, as I leave a motorway/dual, I'm going to do a *right* LS and make sure there's no tw*ts cutting in!

Just a thought.

Ride safe, Al.
Old 29-10-07, 06:46 PM   #2
Sosha

Default Re: Leaving a motorway - *right* shoulder check??

Minivan - Fast lane of North Circular to A41(a1) Slip road Saturday Morning.....Nice
Old 29-10-07, 06:48 PM   #3
rigor

I often (Should be always, but sometimes I forget ) do a right shoulder check leaving motorways. My instructor always told me, do a check in the direction the danger is likely to come from.
Old 29-10-07, 07:29 PM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I'll be the one leaving at 100 from lane 3, so no need here.
Try not to take anyone out with me though.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-07, 07:33 PM   #5
orose

+1 for the right shoulder check - I was nearly invited to inspect a polish lorry from underneath in the M1/M18 roadworks.
Old 29-10-07, 08:01 PM   #6
Samnooshka

Yep in the car taking Lupo to obedience class this afternoon, idiot in an X5 cuts across 3 lanes of the A3 (s) and the white chevrons and cuts me up as i am leaving the A3 to go to Ripley! Hit the brakes hard enough to make Lupo hit his head on the dog guard!

I do life savers in the car that were never taught to me by my driving instructor, its just what i have learnt on the bike... impressed my examiner in my test though lol But better safe than sorry!
Old 29-10-07, 08:16 PM   #7
Razor

I have bar end mounted mirrors, I see all.