SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-05, 07:50 AM   #1
Cos

Default Security

One of the things that is on my shopping list is an alarm and/or immobilisor but i need some advice about which i should get and how much i need to spend.

I had my 125 tampered with outside my house in November last year so i'm a bit paranoid that my SV will come to the same fate.
Old 16-05-05, 08:09 AM   #2
Nouf

It depends on your budget. You will get a discount of your insurance so that should make it sloightly cheaper. Datatool system 3 is very popular, for arou £350. I also saw this on the web try them. They guarantee the security system for a yr and if does get nicked they make good for your lost ncb and offer replacement bike for the period you are without one.

http://www.motorcyclesecurity.co.uk/
Old 16-05-05, 08:11 AM   #3
wheelnut

I had a Meta 357 alarm fitted, but they are really any good to warn you that some scumbag has backed over it while you are away for a few minutes.

If you park it on the street, invest in a big f cough chain and borrow a local lampost or safety rail.

Depends where you live, i suppose, my area is relativly crime free. Only 26 gun related murders last year
Old 16-05-05, 09:24 AM   #4
coombest

Be aware with the insurance discounts mentioned... You will only get a maximum of 10% off your total premium with a Thatcham Approved Immobiliser/Alarm combo fitted by a Thatcham approved technician... This ia also only valid for a maximum of 3 years from the date of fitment.

When you add it up, with the alarm costing a minimum of £300 fitted, to break even you muct have an insurance bill well in excess of £1000... And then it mustn't get cheaper for the next 2 renewals, so you'll have to make a claim on it each year - meaning the alarm/immobiliser possibly hasn't done it's job!

Not trying to put you off - I had a Meta M357Tv2 on my SV and have an old Datatool alarm which is not insurance approved anymore (and doesn't work now!) on my Daytona... I just think people should know the real costs, etc.

Tou'll be better off investing in some serious physical security (chains, disc locks, ground acchor, bike cover, etc.) or for the money you could save by not fitting an alarm - how about renting a garage if you don't have one available to you!!??

HTH
Old 16-05-05, 09:48 AM   #5
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut
I had a Meta 357 alarm fitted, but they are really any good to warn you that some scumbag has backed over it while you are away for a few minutes.

If you park it on the street, invest in a big f cough chain and borrow a local lampost or safety rail.

Depends where you live, i suppose, my area is relativly crime free. Only 26 gun related murders last year
yes, i much prefer this one to the datatool.

so much easier to use.
Old 16-05-05, 10:19 AM   #6
Cos

Is it better then to get an alarm/immobiliser or a good lock ?

Seems to be a few threads lately that have thieves bypassing alarms or just nicking bikes with the alarm going
Old 16-05-05, 10:28 AM   #7
Warren

id have to say a good lock and anchor,

i can recommend a good solid ground anchor (oxford terraforce).
but to be honest, ive seen so many ground anchors that are thatcham approved that look as skinny as anything. the bigger and heavier the better.

but dont forget, if it takes ten mins to install your ground anchor, its gonna take ten mins to remove it, so take your time, layer the cement properly too.

dont rely on 1 thick chain, instead, get a few thick chains. i can recommend the luma solido disc lock and chain combo, its pretty meaty and looks like someone has had a go at mine with a hacksaw and hasnt got very far at all.

once you got the basics, then start looking at alarms and stuff.

i currently have
oxford terraforce (ground anchor)
luma solido disc lock and chain
1 other chain and lock (not a motorcycle specific one)
2 disc locks
hona hiss immobiliser
meta system 3 alarm/immobiliser
bike cover (tucked inder my side stand, so in order to get the cover off, the alarm will go off)
and smart water.

main reason i wanted an alarm, was cos i can hear it from my bedroom window, and id look forward to throwing a few bricks down on anyone who wants to tamper with my bike.
Old 16-05-05, 10:30 AM   #8
Warren

oh, and i know it sounds strange, but i smeared loads of dirty oil up my old bike cover to give the impression that there was some sort of jalopy under neath.
Old 16-05-05, 10:42 AM   #9
Nouf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
Is it better then to get an alarm/immobiliser or a good lock ?

Seems to be a few threads lately that have thieves bypassing alarms or just nicking bikes with the alarm going

The more security you have on your bike the better. I had a 749 nicked with alarm/imobiliser, disc lock, chain lock and gound anchor. If they want to take your bike they'll find a way. What you must do is put them off as much as possible, get them to think this one is a difficult job, let's find something easier!
Old 16-05-05, 11:16 AM   #10
Jp

Also if its in your bac k garden, or somewhere with a fence that they have to climb over, try nailing carpet grippers to the tops of the fences, they will never see them in the dark and when they jump up they will have really badly cut hands (and hopefully tetanus too)

Theres about 4 patches of blood over mine now, the bike hasnt ever been touched.