SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-01-17, 09:32 PM   #11
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Insurance advice

You may already have legal cover some other way.Some bank accounts and home insurance policies have it and if you are in a trade union they might well provide it.Worth a look.
Old 17-01-17, 10:01 PM   #12
ophic
Mega Poster

My gripe with Hastings is that they have a "no buy back" policy. If they write off your bike, it's gone. You probably never get it back after assessment.

In my case I got mine back on the road with a new lever and a bolt through the pedal. £15 all done. Write off indeed
Old 18-01-17, 08:51 AM   #13
shiftin_gear98

I'm with Hastings Premier now - however thankfully haven't needed to ring them yet! Hopefully I won't.
So no comment on what they are like to deal with. But they can't be as big a bunch of ******s as Bennets.
Or maybe they can.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 09:31 AM   #14
timwilky
Mega Poster

I had my own gripe with Bennets. After being wiped out from behind whilst stopped at a red light. The old codger admitted liability at the scene and I had about 20 witnesses. So easy I thought.

Firstly I have worked for over 30 years as a motor claims assessor, It was one of my families businesses. So I am comfortable talking with claims depts. But usually trying to save them cash.

Well the claim was, values weren't. Having rejected the first two offers. I could not see where they got their values from. Then when they were quoting the Glasses values to me on the telephone and I could not match them in my copy I discover they are incorrectly identify the bike. So we get that right. Then when I am telling them to do a mileage adjustment as it had only done 1200 miles they say they need to query that figure.

Is it not on the assessors report. No, there is no report. It has not been inspected. The fecking claims handler is attempting to value my bike, know nothing about it. Cost saving by insurance companies gone to 5hit. part of the job of an assessor is to agree the scope of repairs. What work is to be carried out, what techniques are to be used etc. The computer cannot tell that part and it really does require an inspection. Dedicated repairers are trusted but inspected to know what they are doing. Well carry on with my gripe.

So eventually we agree, correct bike, condition and a further £1000 in settlement. Now onto my kit. Pay out in full agreed as my leathers and helmet were only 4 days old and I had the receipt to prove it.

But the real gripe was after settling my renewal for the replacement bike came though and I had zero NCB as a result of the claim. Got onto them and they said as there was an outstanding PI claim they could not give me my NCB. Yes you can. The accident claim has been settled as no fault. I need to talk to the underwriter and will phone you back. Some hope I thought.

10 mins later the call arrives. NCB fully restored. Acceptable quote. So grabbed it even though I did not want to renew with them simply to ensure the NCB stood. I did not want the agro of proving an NCB with a second provider.

So bennets did deliver. But not quite as they should. I am sure that if you let them, they would walk all over you.
Old 19-01-17, 09:23 AM   #15
daktulos

You may not want to go with them, but Bennetts do have a decent online quote form. You can go back, make a change and see what effect it has. It may be worth using something like that to get an optimum set of parameters and then get other quotes on the same.

I removed excess, made a few other changes (including pillion I think) and it made no difference. It's definitely worth playing.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 01:33 PM   #16
Trev B

It just one of those thinks that life throws up at you,go TPFT no extras then if something happens you wish you'd gone fully Comp with all bells and whistles.To me it's like....Do you wear everything leather mid summer or risk it with jeans trainers and anorak???? Can't answer that for anyone else !!
Old 30-06-17, 01:58 PM   #17
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I have just switched the insurance from the Tiger to the 765 rs.
The pain in the Harris is the old under writer's don't want to quote for the street.
So had to cancel it.
So lost out on that bit
But then again the street was Only£20 extra pa over the Tiger but no legal