SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-09, 03:55 PM   #1
boo86

Default Is there any way of revving higher ?

Hi guys, what i mean is, is there any way of adjusting the rev limiter so it cuts in later. Maybe 500-1000 rpm later ? I know it'll probably be a black box swop but i can't find anything on tinternet. It's coming up to race/track day season and I've started tinkering.

Cheers,
Old 25-02-09, 04:59 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is there any way of reving higher ?

If you've got a Curvy 650 then the ECU from a 400 will fit and allows higher revs, can't remember how much though.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-09, 05:10 PM   #3
ThEGr33k

Default Re: Is there any way of revving higher ?

I cant say how unless you can re write the ECU (Can you easily?) but is it a good idea?
Old 25-02-09, 05:16 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Fuel Injection and ECU's, Pah!

Sid Squid's quite right, the SV400 ignition control unit for the curvies (98-02) is a straight swap I believe, and will raise the rpm limit at which the unit cuts the spark to stop the engine revving higher. For a pointy 03+ bike you'd probably need a custom ECU to do the same thing.

Minor caveat on this: The rev limit's there for a good reason to limit the stress put on the engine, and the SV's engine probably isn't putting out much more power revving out higher unless you change the cams, exhaust etc.

Jambo
Old 25-02-09, 07:08 PM   #5
rowdy

As has been said there's not a great deal of point as the engine is more torque than power. As has also been said it will stress the engine more than desired.
Case in point, apparently there were a few k3's that slipped through the net with the rev limit set 1000rpm higher than should be (according to co founder of dynapro who dyno tested race bikes for the minitwin series) mine being one of these bikes (tested on dyno by said dynapro co founder) and after 5 years with the last few months of those seeing the bike reving towards 11500rpm more frequently than it should have to be honest, resulted in one snapped crankshaft. On the upside though the bike was capable of a speedo indicated 10mph more in top gear than before the race exhaust system was fitted, which allowed it to rev that extra 1000rpm in top gear. That said I don't think it is that great a benefit with regards to acceleration.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-09, 10:02 AM   #6
Monkey_SDMF

What's your end game here Boo? Are you trying to increase acceleration, or top speed, or just have the ability to hang on to a ear a bit longer before changing up?

For acceleration I would be inclined to drop a tooth on the front sprocket, and add a tooth on the rear sprocket (which means you don't have to faff about with the length of the chain). Although this will drop the top speed by about 10 mph. Depends where you are racing/trackdaying I suppose.
Old 26-02-09, 10:04 AM   #7
Dappa D

long time no spk boo, good luck for the season ahead! post some action pics if you get a chance mate
Old 28-02-09, 07:02 AM   #8
boo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_SDMF View Post
What's your end game here Boo? Are you trying to increase acceleration, or top speed, or just have the ability to hang on to a ear a bit longer before changing up?

For acceleration I would be inclined to drop a tooth on the front sprocket, and add a tooth on the rear sprocket (which means you don't have to faff about with the length of the chain). Although this will drop the top speed by about 10 mph. Depends where you are racing/trackdaying I suppose.
Race / track day bike, (race bike when finances are good), I'm thinking under minitwinrules a swop of a 400 box would be legal. It being from the same model allthough not the same deplacment. I just want to be able to hang onto any gear for slightlylonger. I think as my road bike is a zx9r it takes along time to get my brain back into twin mode for racing.
Old 28-02-09, 07:06 AM   #9
boo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
long time no spk boo, good luck for the season ahead! post some action pics if you get a chance mate

Woo @ work on saturdays !! Pics as requested. This years paint sceme is white. Pics asap. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some sponsers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 mark 1.jpg (87.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06803.JPG (65.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 28-02-09, 07:07 AM   #10
boo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo86 View Post
Woo @ work on saturdays !! Pics as requested. This years paint sceme is white. Pics asap. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some sponsers.
see pic, this damn R1 was in my way all day !!