SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

Old 16-05-07, 09:07 AM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default OKay, need some advice...

Hi girls, guys and those we're not sure about!

I'm off to Germany on teh 26th May for 7 nights. 3 of days will be at the nurburgring, the rest will be travelling to France and enjoying the lovely roads. I am hoping to get in about 10 or so laps on the Ring. I have 2 bikes as you know, but don't know which on to take (still). They both need a new back tyre before I go, the Hornet will need to be MOT'd before I go.

I am much more confident (see hooligan) on the Hornet than I am on the Zed but the Zed has a lot more torque and can be easier to ride fast at times (but also easier to get into trouble). The Hornet will do better on fuel, will be much more comfortable, plus I am not that worried about binning it as I am the Zed. Also kneedowns are so much easier on the Hornet! I am worried about taking the Zed as it will put on lots of miles and I as I am going to be selling soon(ish) I am not sure it's such a good idea. What would you take and why?
Old 16-05-07, 09:21 AM   #2
K

Default Re: OKay, need some advice...

Hornet - aside from the simple caution of wanting to sell the Z soon - you've answered it yourself - better fuel economy, comfort, confidence & peace of mind.

The Ring itself is exciting enough a place to be that, for the sake of doing that alone on the Z, the rest of your trip is where you'll want the 'better' bike for the above reasons.

That said, when I went I had the choice of taking the 'Blade or the SV...

... the Blue 'Blade won, for although at the time I was probably more confident on the SV with regards to tight and unfamiliar cornering (and so a first thought would be more confident on the track), I actually found the 'Blade more confortable over distance, slightly better tank range...

... oh who am I kidding!

It was more comfortable though.
Old 16-05-07, 09:24 AM   #3
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath View Post
Depends if you want to go with your heart or your head.

Heart: Z
Head: Hornet
Oooh I don't know!

I guess I'm scared/worried of taking the Zed. It's such a lovely bike and I'm worried about binning it. The Hornet is one of those bikes that you sit on and it feels like 'home'. If you know what I mean?
Old 16-05-07, 09:48 AM   #4
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Take the Zed you tart!

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-07, 10:45 AM   #5
DanAbnormal

Righto, decision has been made.

It's the Hornet that I'm taking. Mainly due to the fact that I can't afford two sets of rubber now and I use the Hornet much more than the Zed, so that needs the tyres. Makes all kinds of sense although I know I will miss the Zed once I am at the track but hey ho. Can't have it both ways.

Ah, what a relief!
Old 16-05-07, 01:45 PM   #6
Demonz

Hmm - you wouldnt often get such an opportunity to stretch the Zed as you would this one.
Old 16-05-07, 02:01 PM   #7
JonToms

If you do change you mind and take the Z1000 your gonna need to put the standard cans back on as they have a strict noise level policy.
Old 16-05-07, 03:11 PM   #8
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonToms View Post
If you do change you mind and take the Z1000 your gonna need to put the standard cans back on as they have a strict noise level policy.
You mean at the 'ring'?

Had a look on the website and they do spot checks, as long as you don't sit in the car park revving the **** off the bike it should be fine. Besides, I have the baffles under the seat anyway. You should hear some of the GT race cars they let around the track, thay have no hope of meeting the noise limit of 100db's. Mine sits at 98db's idle without baffles......

And I've just looked at the tyre on the Hornet, I reckon it's got another 1'500 miles at least before I need to worry about it. So might be the Zed afterall.

Ah bugger, I'll decide how I feel the night before!

Indecisive, me??? Nooooo.

Last edited by DanAbnormal; 16-05-07 at 03:13 PM.
Old 17-05-07, 10:54 AM   #9
falc

Such a decision to make Dan

Your gonna be doing quite a few miles so the most comfortable one might be worth taking though the Zed would be quicker im guessing
Old 17-05-07, 01:54 PM   #10
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc View Post
Such a decision to make Dan

Your gonna be doing quite a few miles so the most comfortable one might be worth taking though the Zed would be quicker im guessing
Well I've racked my brains over what to do. I like the idea of the Zed but I reckon after a few hours I would sorely regret the choice. Plus we can't afford to be going nuts everywhere as the rozza's out there are very strict indeed. I don't need to blast down the Autobahn to find out what the top speed of the Zed is anyway, I did that on the special Autobahn that we have in Hampshire! Getting new tyre on the Hornet on Tuesday morning so that's the one I'm taking. Decision made and I'm sticking to it. Zed is a nice idea but Hornet is just as much fun in the twisties, probably more so.