SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-07-11, 06:06 AM   #1
metalangel

Default OS X Lion

NO SOULKISSES ALLOWED

Anyone partaken? Extremely painless to actually get it... just click the install link in the app store, and away it goes.

The biggest change is that by default, your mousewheel is reversed! This is really annoying, Apple claim it's more 'natural' once you get used to it. I've been using mousewheels since they came out and (waves walking stick) I ain't about to change now. Wheeling UP to scroll DOWN? To fix that, go into the system prefs > trackpad > untick 'natural scrolling'.

The dashboard is now a seperate desktop of its own, which is great except you now cannot click on an unused part of it to make it slide back away, it would seem, a bit annoying.

Anyone else using and and noticed new stuff?
Old 26-07-11, 06:25 AM   #2
maxinc

Default Re: OS X Lion

There are quite a few improvements and generally like it but I only have it on my laptop since some of the programs I use frequently on the iMac still need to be updated for Lion. Reverse scrolling was a bit strange to be honest and disabled it first thing. I still have to test it properly for things like versioning, air drop, new email software etc. but overall I think is a nice step forward, even if you have to "think differently" in some areas.

All new features here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html
Old 26-07-11, 07:20 AM   #3
wyrdness

I haven't tried it yet, as I've no disk space left on my iMac. I've read the the reverse scrolling is designed for track-pads, where it mimics the way that you'd scroll on an ipad/iphone. It probably makes no sense at all for mouse-wheels.
Old 26-07-11, 07:20 AM   #4
grimey121uk

I got it on release day,

I am annoyed to be honest, my battery life has gone from 6-7 hours down to 4.5 hours.
Also it would appear to use a lot more memory than snow leopard.

They say it has 250 new features which is a load of crap, they have just given existing features names.

At the moment I have really fallen out with apple, the OS used to be ace and the hardware used to be premium (although at a premium price), I paid £1200 for my MBP which was the cheapest laptop available with my CPU and dual channel memory, now a 1200 quid apple gets you a CPU from a 400quid laptop.
when snow leopard came it I was amazed a new OS that used 8 gig less HDD space, a lot less ram and felt twice as responsive, now they appear to have followed the microsoft path of making everything bloated

When people stop buying iphones apple will be screwed they have lost all focus on the computer business in the past few years, even the phone are starting to look old hat.

Last edited by grimey121uk; 26-07-11 at 07:25 AM.
Old 26-07-11, 07:28 AM   #5
maxinc

Perhaps a fresh install would work better for you?
Old 26-07-11, 07:48 AM   #6
mr.anderson

Not helpful, but accurate: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

I installed it yesterday but haven't had a chance to play with it beyond a few clicks. Reverse scrolling took about 2 seconds to get used to on my MBP. I also find the Dashboard irritating in that you cant just get rid of it. Launchpad seems rather pointless unless you have forgotten what apps you have installed an feel like browsing through an iOS-esque tiled screen. Can't comment on battery life or performance yet.

Was surprised that the download what 3.75GB, but it appears that I suddenly have 10GB more free disk space since installing it.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-11, 08:37 AM   #7
metalangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimey121uk View Post
I got it on release day,

I am annoyed to be honest, my battery life has gone from 6-7 hours down to 4.5 hours.
Also it would appear to use a lot more memory than snow leopard.
Slightly concerned by that... Minecraft (yes, I know) seemed a little bit less smooth but that's about all I've done so far.
Old 26-07-11, 09:19 AM   #8
Owenski

The scrolling is meant to replicate the motion you'd use on a touch screen. ie to view up the page you drag(scroll) the page down the screen (try it now with your finger on your monitor and you'll see what I mean.

It does work with that logic but I agree a wheel should be as it always has .. if it aint broke etc.

Last edited by Owenski; 26-07-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 26-07-11, 10:22 AM   #9
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Airdrop sounds brilliant along with a few of the other features, but I'll do my usual and wait 6 months for the creases to smooth out

Still pleased with Apple's pricing structure and install/upgrade process - breath of fresh air compared to Microsoft's lite, regular, full fat, supersized versions of windows with all different prices, then having to boot from disc, never 100% sure whether everything is still going to work after the upgrade etc...

Mac - just click upgrade and go make a cuppa.. come back and check out new features

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-11, 10:30 AM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
Airdrop sounds brilliant along with a few of the other features, but I'll do my usual and wait 6 months for the creases to smooth out

Still pleased with Apple's pricing structure and install/upgrade process - breath of fresh air compared to Microsoft's lite, regular, full fat, supersized versions of windows with all different prices, then having to boot from disc, never 100% sure whether everything is still going to work after the upgrade etc...

Mac - just click upgrade and go make a cuppa.. come back and check out new features
Hmmmm, youl'll be turning up to a camping weekend in a van rather than a tent next...

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote