SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-10, 06:21 AM   #1
olisak

Default Which loctite to use on sprockets?

So I managed to remove the front sprocket (it needs replacing with the rear) after much swearing, etc.. Looking to put on the new one but just wondering should I be using loctite on this? If so which one? I don't want it flying off but equally so, I don't want to break my spine everytime it needs replacing etc...

Cheers
Old 17-04-10, 06:36 AM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which loctite to use on sprockets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olisak View Post
So I managed to remove the front sprocket (it needs replacing with the rear) after much swearing, etc.. Looking to put on the new one but just wondering should I be using loctite on this? If so which one? I don't want it flying off but equally so, I don't want to break my spine everytime it needs replacing etc...

Cheers

Good morning.

Use a medium strength Loctite, & make sure you clean the old stuff off the threads before torqueing up the nuts.

Cheers.
Old 17-04-10, 04:19 PM   #3
Preston

there is no need to use loctite on it mate.. just getting nice and tite will be more than enuff...
Old 17-04-10, 04:37 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

But if you have loctite I'd use it..
Old 17-04-10, 07:31 PM   #5
Preston

i have never used it on a sproket not only will i tmake removing it later a ****ing ball ake but there is no need to do it at all..

av fitted 1000's to 100's of diff bikes and i would not advise to use loctite on it mate.. but its up to you..
Old 17-04-10, 07:53 PM   #6
olisak

Ok so it's done now, used (sparingly) blue medium loctite, hopefully will be ok if I ever need to get it off (which I'm hoping won't be for a long time..!). We shall see, but been blasting on the bike today and all feels good. Thanks for all the replies, as always much appreciated.
Old 17-04-10, 08:00 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Get a scottoiler on the bike and you shouldnt have to do the job for another 30,000 miles

I've not seen loctite used for such a purpose but it dosn't harm, knowing its there offeres peace of mind so its no bad thing
Old 17-04-10, 08:38 PM   #8
olisak

Yeh peace of mind is worth alot, especially when you travel at abit of pace and get random thoughts like "did I do that up tight enough...!" got the scottoiler dual injector fitted, bit too late for the last chain and sprocket but should be very good for the new kit. Swear by em, they are quality.