SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 10-12-10, 07:11 PM   #41
mike_red2uk

Default Re: help me go faster?

Our lass has done nothing but look through the window since it started snowing...............

do you think i should let her in ?
Old 10-12-10, 10:03 PM   #42
AndyBrad

Hang your head in shame
Old 10-12-10, 10:30 PM   #43
orose

For stealing it from the comedy thread?

This is probably going to sound daft at this point Andy, but have you tried going to a carpark and doing U-turns and hard braking - it sounds like you're not confident that you're not going to drop it riding normally from some of the posts.
Old 10-12-10, 10:51 PM   #44
hardhat_harry

I thought this was about going fast on trackdays your not going to recreate braking hard for 100mph off the straight in a carpark, when Im doing that on the SV it feels like my eyes are going to fly out of my head.

One thing I was told on the braking front is when on track pick your braking marker and brake. Next lap brake 10 metres later, next lap later again. You will be surprised just how hard you can brake.

Another tip is after the first session get an instructor and follow them for a session they are usually free (on NoLimits and FE anyway). They will show you the lines, I was lost at Donnington as its a wide track until I was shown the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
For stealing it from the comedy thread?

This is probably going to sound daft at this point Andy, but have you tried going to a carpark and doing U-turns and hard braking - it sounds like you're not confident that you're not going to drop it riding normally from some of the posts.
Old 10-12-10, 10:57 PM   #45
Tim in Belgium

Go quicker in a straight line, brake later, corner quicker and get on the gas earlier Simples

Or just let the speed find you.
Old 10-12-10, 11:08 PM   #46
hardhat_harry

Spoken like a true Jedi

Feel the speed, it is all around you, use the speed it is your friend....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Go quicker in a straight line, brake later, corner quicker and get on the gas earlier Simples

Or just let the speed find you.
Old 11-12-10, 09:13 AM   #47
mister c
Mega Poster

Do a trackday & ask one of the instructors to go around with you, they dont normally charge & I've seen & heard that they do a brilliant job.

Couple of years ago I was on my FZR at Oulton. I was passing this lad on an R6 in the morning with his yellow bib on & an instructor behind him. By the end of the day I couldn't stay with him I couldn't believe the difference.
Also a friend of mine won the Crewe & Nantwich Steel frame championship, so he isnt slow. He said that there is no shame having tuition. He did it in his championship winning year & found different ways of riding which he said helped greatly.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 09:58 AM   #48
Berlin

In simplest terms, speed comes from confidence.

If you have confidence that the bike isn't going to "crash" then you can comfortably ride well within that limit.

The closer you get the the point where the bike is about to "crash" the more nervous you (are supposed to) get. Its nature and its why we ride bikes. Its exciting. An Adrenaline rush.

But there is a point for everyone where Self preservation cuts in and your body and mind (not you, this is on a subconscious level) decide despite you being there and supposedly in control doesn't matter and cuts in. You tense up, panic sets in (to varying levels) and "you" are no longer in control. Your subconscious is. We've all gone into a corner a little too hot and had that panic moment.

If, for you, this happens earlier than other people you have to face the fact that you'll never be as fast as them. You can increase the level at which this cuts in a little by practice and familiarity with "going fast" but at best you'll get to a level where you are marginally faster. lets say 20%.

But if the other guys have this stimulus 30% higher in "speed" or "lean" than you do, that means you'll never keep up... and you'll never catch up.

Now this is nothing to be ashamed of. Its nature and you can't change nature. If your stimulus cust in early, its just the way you're wired.

However, you can do things to increase confidence. if you're on a bike that has 180bhp and you're unsure of it, trading in for a bike that has 70bhp will allow you to me more confident that it isn't going to bite you in the ****.

Using track tyres gives you confidence that the tyres are as good as the guys that are coming past you at 60 degrees of lean. If they can do it...

When on a track day, increasing speed, lean and braking point very *gradually* leads to an increase in confidence. " Bloody hell, I thought that was too fast and I didn't crash"! The joy of track days. Then you'll have a slide or some such and it'll knock your confidence. and it takes time to build it back up again.

When I crashed at the last meeting at East Fortune in practice (I'm a numpty!) I couldn't take that corner as fast as I usually do despite really forcing myself to. I was about three seconds a lap slower despite trying to overcome my "fear" of that left hander. No matter what I did, my self Preservation button was being pressed by my subconscious and was in control for the rest of the day.

So, waffle over, You can increase your confidence with familiarity of the track, bike, tyres, speed, lean etc but it takes time.

However, if your start point is poor body position, poor track position and fear of a bike, then the best way to proceed is tuition. Tuition from someone who *Knows what they are talking about*!!

Grab an instructor on a track day and listen to what he says. Progress may be slow as you are countering your natural "Self preservation" reflex and thats not an easy thing to do and your (conscious) mind might be telling your body to do one thing and your Self preservation (subconscious mind) might be over-ruling it, but you will make progress.

and buy a smaller bike!

C

Last edited by Berlin; 11-12-10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-12-10, 12:14 PM   #49
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
In simplest terms, speed comes from confidence.

+ other stuff!
C
Sound advice. Makes sense.
I can now blame my parents for making me a slow rider! My self preservation cuts in at about 10 degrees of lean
Old 11-12-10, 12:18 PM   #50
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
He will calm down when some lunatic on a CB500 goes past like he is standing still
That exact thing happened to be on my first track day. The rider was about 16 stone and 60 years old as well.