SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-02-11, 03:57 PM   #1
ThEGr33k

Default IOS (iphone) users views on Android?

It seems after reading a lot of articles on the net and talking to a few Apple users that they have odd idea's of just what android is.

So id like to know out of interest what your thoughts are, if you are an apple user or not, just so I can clear up some misconceptions. I know both IOS and Android well enough to draw up meaningful comparisons and ill try to be objective in anything I write.

So please, say what you think! (P.S. try to be objective, im only wanting to draw meaningful comparisons, not start a fan boi fight...)
Old 18-02-11, 04:05 PM   #2
Stuuk1

I am an IOS man, I have owned many phones but not running android.

I would like to give one a try but if I'm honest, it would have to be amazing for me to do a permanent swap which I am 99% sure wouldn't be possible.

Android is also used on too many phones. As the iPhone is the only one with apples OS they retain their price amazingly well hence the reason I wouldn't swap aswell.
Old 18-02-11, 04:56 PM   #3
mr.anderson

Default Re: IOS (iphone) users views on Android?

Having been an iPhone user from the beginning, I've been through the fan boi stage and have now tired of the product.

There is no absolutely no advantage of iOS devices to comparable Android ones, like the Samsung Galaxy S II (which I will be getting just as soon as it becomes available).

Apple's closed system really is limiting potential now - they were market leaders (in that they were the first to bring a nicely packaged product to the mass market) - but now they are just starting to take the mickey with their latest dictatorship approach.

The droid family offers some really cool, but increasingly "essential" features like wireless media sync, larger screens and a proper browsing experience. These things are more important to me than a nicely boxed vanilla product. Shiny branding and supposed exclusivity is no longer good enough to out do the competition.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-11, 05:05 PM   #4
Woz

I have an iPhone. I honestly don't have any views about android because I've never really used one.

Why do I have an iPhone? Because I got a good deal (knowing someone who works at the local O2 call centre has it's advantages). It does what I want. I don't care that it's 'locked down' - it's a bloody phone/music player/interweb browser.

Would I go for android when the time comes? If my mate can do the necessary on the deal and the handset fits the bill then yeah, why not.
Old 18-02-11, 05:58 PM   #5
Bluefish

As per woz, that's all mine get's used for, Android what's that then, just want a phone to do the normal things with, never seen an android phone, what does android mean? it's a phone innit same as a fruit based product?.
Old 18-02-11, 06:00 PM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Funny, spent an hour discussing this with my Dad this afto...

Iphone hardware is sublime, but the OS is nowhere near as flexible as Android, don't like a particular aspect of iOS? Tough, Steve likes it and that means it's good enough for you... Purely from an OS point of view there's no reason to go Apple.

Perhaps when Jobs finally gets crucified, returns three days later and finally ascends to heaven like the true believers say Apple might put Android on their phones?? Until then we choose...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-11, 06:43 PM   #7
arenalife

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Perhaps when Jobs finally gets crucified, returns three days later and finally ascends to heaven like the true believers say Apple might put Android on their phones?? Until then we choose...
Careful what you wish for, he's at deaths door from cancer poor guy

I've got an Iphone but am not a techno-ignoramus. My friend just 'downgraded' to an android phone as he left his Iphone on the train (DUH) and can't afford to replace it. I asked him what it's like and he said 'I just want to smash it, I hate it'. You can talk about features all day but the experience is where it's at, a bit like bikes I suppose.
Old 18-02-11, 08:00 PM   #8
600+

Having an iphone user that moved to android I have found it faster due to better h/w on handsets.

Also it does exactly what an iphone does but better, faster and with room for improvement without the need of a new phone.

Music, internet, phone, messaging, wireless sync of contacts, data, email.

Will get an iphone when they catch up with technology again
Old 18-02-11, 08:11 PM   #9
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Just came through on the RSS

Android 3.0 features coming "to all phones" - just a "matter of time"

LINKY

edit: That's all existing android phones for the easily misled...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 18-02-11 at 08:15 PM.
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-11, 08:26 PM   #10
hindle8907
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Iphone hardware is sublime, but the OS is nowhere near as flexible as Android,
For your average user yes, for a tech user no, you can do anything your imagination, skills and knowledge are capable of the iphone is equally as flexible as android you just go to know how.
I don't agree that its right that you have to do this unlocking process to get what you want out of your device but it can be done.
I can honestly say though if it wasn't possible to unlock iOS devices I would never have purchased my ipad or iphones and defiantly would of chosen android.
So I can see why a lot of people prefer android.
Android is a good OS there is no doubt but personally I think iOS is a lot smoother/stable(but they did feckup big time with iOS4 on the 3g) combined with the slick hardware and ready available content its a winner for me, plus being able to unlock/hack is something I actually enjoy doing and is why I have chosen iphones and the ipad over other available devices.
Untill I have something in my hands that's better I don't think i will be changing. But I am going to try persuade work to get me the play station phone
Im currently using an HTC trophy running Microsoft's mobile 7 as my work phone see the thread in IB this phone is more limited and restricted than an iphone will ever be.
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2

Last edited by hindle8907; 18-02-11 at 08:54 PM.
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote