SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-11, 06:56 AM   #1
mister c
Mega Poster

Default When is no claims bonus not no claims bonus?

As you know I have bought an SV1000 cheap that was taxed & tested, so thought I would insure it & take custard off the road.
Enter GoCompare.com & find myself some cheap insurance. Ended up choosing Devitt Direct, not because they were the cheapest, but they offered 6 months interest free payments. Result

I received the usual paperwork asking to prove my 3 years no claims bonus & just as chance would have it, my other insurance company had sent a renewel notice for Custard, so sent a copy of the letter to Devitt showing my 3 years NCB.

I had another letter from Devitt yesterday, recorded delivery, saying that if I didn't prove my NCB, then my insurance would be null & void on 24th March.

Time to give them a call methinks. I spoke to a very nice lady who told me that they had received a letter, but I couldn't use it as proof as my 650 insurance didn't run out until 29th March, so had to wait until then & could I send proof of my NCB on the thou.
Am I being a little thick? but I would have thought that a letter stating that I had been insured on another bike, with another company, would have been proof enough, but according to Devitt, it isn't.
When I asked how I went about this, as I'd only owned the bike for 3 weeks, she couldn't answer me. We got into quite a long discussion on different scenarios, which, again, she couldnt answer. She asked me why I hadn't bought a policy for multiple machines & I told her that the 650 was now in my shed, not being used & that I wasn't going to cancel the insurance as it only had a few days left to run, plus I would lose my NCB, so was only using the Thou.

I am still completely baffled by this & it looks like my insurance is going to be cancelled on 24th March.

Last edited by mister c; 20-03-11 at 06:57 AM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-11, 07:44 AM   #2
boot

Default Re: When is no claims bonus not no claims bonus?

Do online quote with Carole Nash, do nothing and they'll call you back next day - I had a renewal quote for £115, then a reminder for £145, did online quote with them for £225, guy that called me got it down to £103. Go figure.

Their customer service has always been excellent as far as I'm concerned.
Old 20-03-11, 10:23 AM   #3
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot View Post
Do online quote with Carole Nash, do nothing and they'll call you back next day - I had a renewal quote for £115, then a reminder for £145, did online quote with them for £225, guy that called me got it down to £103. Go figure.

Their customer service has always been excellent as far as I'm concerned.
I just got a text from Tesco insurance tother day, £103 odd, eh i think, i've just renewed with carol nash for £400 was initially 460, so i phone Tesco, and yes they had the details of my old pointy and not the current trumpet, new it was too good to be true. you would think mister c that they would give you the extra years no claims for the sake of a few days, ****s.

Last edited by Bluefish; 20-03-11 at 10:25 AM.
Old 21-03-11, 07:31 AM   #4
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

The problem you've got is your no claims is being used on the 650 until the 29th march therefore it cant be used on another policy. Surely you can use the 650 for a few more days and then swap over to the thou when the insurance runs out?
Old 21-03-11, 07:49 AM   #5
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
The problem you've got is your no claims is being used on the 650 until the 29th march therefore it cant be used on another policy. Surely you can use the 650 for a few more days and then swap over to the thou when the insurance runs out?
+1 you can only use ncb on one vehicle at any one time
Old 21-03-11, 08:35 AM   #6
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I would do but the MOT ran out on the 650 on 19th March, so thats a no go
Old 21-03-11, 08:47 AM   #7
-Ralph-

Don't forget to surrender your tax and SORN it then, I believe continuous insurance comes in on April 1st? Yes, what the woman says on the phone is correct. They don't know that you won't renew the 650 on 29th March using that no claims bonus, so they can't give you that NCB on the Thou. You need to phone your insurance company for the 650, tell them you are cancelling your policy, post your insurance certificate back to them and they will send you a proof of no claims. You may still find you get charged full whack for the thou, or at least a penalty equivalent to full whack for a period of time, as you have been insured for a period of time on the basis of an NCB which cannot be applied. If that happens you could cancel that policy under your 14 day cooling off period, and start a new policy once your NCB has been freed up.
Old 21-03-11, 09:15 AM   #8
mister c
Mega Poster

So, scenario number 2.
What do I do with the Triumph if I want to ride that as well? It is insured with another company & they received proof of NCB from me with no problems whatsoever.
This means that I have 3 motorcycles, all could be ridden if the MOTs were renewed on them, but I could only use the no claims on 1 machine & pay full premium on the other 2.
Now I am a simple chap. I would have thought that if I hadn't claimed for 3 years on a motorcycle, that means that I have 3 years NCB irrespective of the bike I'm riding, but obviously insurance companies think differently.
Old 21-03-11, 09:42 AM   #9
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
So, scenario number 2.
What do I do with the Triumph if I want to ride that as well? It is insured with another company & they received proof of NCB from me with no problems whatsoever

You are not allowed to use your NCB on more than one bike, unless it is with the same insurer and they are happy to give you that discount on more than one bike, but really that's not an NCB on both bikes (even though the paperwork may say that), it's an NCB on one, and a volume discount on the other for giving them more than one policy.

This means that I have 3 motorcycles, all could be ridden if the MOTs were renewed on them, but I could only use the no claims on 1 machine & pay full premium on the other 2.

Correct. What if you had 20 bikes, the insurance companies would loose a lot of money if they had to give you and NCB discount on 20 policies

Now I am a simple chap. I would have thought that if I hadn't claimed for 3 years on a motorcycle, that means that I have 3 years NCB irrespective of the bike I'm riding, but obviously insurance companies think differently.

Yes, they do. This is the way it has always been with NCB.
So strictly speaking the latter of the two bikes that were insured with the same NCB is not covered as you are not paying the correct amount for the policy. If they found out you had NCB discounted insurance on another bike they could either send you the bill for the difference (as Devvitt are threatening to do now), or they wouldn't pay out in an accident. I don't know whether they can find out via the MIB database or not.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 21-03-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 21-03-11, 09:55 AM   #10
Dicky Ticker

Or surrender the lot and have a multi bike policy using the NCB providing you specify you are the only rider.After all you can only ride one bike at a time and they are all insured as far as SORN is concerned.
I am aware that in some cases it is cheaper to have multiple policies but surely multi-bike must be your simplest answer