SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 01-10-12, 06:12 PM   #1
Samp

Default Layer 8 winter trousers

After missing about 80 consecutive bargains on ebay, it was the day I had to collect my bike from 60 miles away and I had to get some trousers. I sorted by distance on ebay and found a place up the road from me sells new 'layer 8' gear which is pretty cheep.

I bought the trousers for £50, and for build quality I can't fault them. They come with removable quilted lining, hard knee and soft hip armour, zip and Velcro boot-flaps, zip and Velcro fly, Velcro waist fastening, and two external pockets on the front.

The removable quilted liner has a zip at the top and buttons at the ankles, and the trousers come with a zip to join to the jacket. Taking the liner out I have room to wear them over jeans.

I can't testify to wear-through protection, but the outer ' 600D heavy duty Mexdura Mesh shell' feels strong enough. I can tell you they are comfortable dry and warm, and (assuming they don't fall to bits if touched by moving tarmac) well made.

Negatives would be
1) never heard of them or seen any actual safety tests done on them
2) only reflectors are two piped seems on the front
3) their logo looks a bit goofy

If I was riding for glory I'd wait for someone to do some crash tests or buy a bigger brand, but since I ride to get to work and back it seems like a pretty good investment of £50. They do a jacket too - haven't tried it.

I bought from this place http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Layer8...t_10399wt_1083

I went there (it's local for me), the postage on the ebay sale is £8ish.

They were friendly and helpful and have the biggest collection of second-hand leathers I've ever seen. You could re-cover a herd of cows with the leather they've got. I don't see the layer 8 brand anywhere else so I assume they are the importers.

I'll be commuting over the winter so I'll report more as I break them in.