SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-06, 11:39 AM   #1
tomjones2

Default recomended roads in wales

i'm going from portsmouth to dolgellau (north of aberystwth) this friday has anyone got any advice on quality roads in wales, i was thinking of avoiding motorways and going bristol but not sure which roads to choose in wales.

cheers in advance
Old 11-04-06, 11:41 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

The only roads in Wales I recommend are the ones out
Old 11-04-06, 11:50 AM   #3
Peter Henry

With a name like yours you should know them like the back of your hand! Especially those quiet little places for "knicker throwing sessions"! :P :P
Old 11-04-06, 12:15 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: recomended roads in wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2
i'm going from portsmouth to dolgellau (north of aberystwth) this friday has anyone got any advice on quality roads in wales, i was thinking of avoiding motorways and going bristol but not sure which roads to choose in wales.

cheers in advance
To be honest, there are loads. I would just get a map, draw a diagonal line from the Severn bridge to where you need to go, and find a route that sort of follows it. I dont think that i have been on a bad road in wales yet...well except the one that runs through the rhonda valley, past caprets and carpets!! The trip over the blcak mountains makes up for it though
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-06, 06:11 PM   #5
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
the welsh roads are ACE! its the only place i ride.
Old 13-04-06, 06:28 PM   #6
chog

After crossing the severn bridge take the A466 to Monmouth - brilliant road

I would then cut across to abergavenny and take the A479 to Buith Wells and then the A470 to your destination.
Once there, take your pick but the the A470 north to trawsfynydd and then to Colwyn Bay and the A494 to Bala lake and llangollen are excellent roads.

A word of warning though the North wales police are very anti bike and very anti speeding, so there are loads of cameras both fixed and mobile and they will pull you for exhausts, number plates,visors etc.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Chog
Old 13-04-06, 08:23 PM   #7
GSXR Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
bugger, thats what i was thinking when i clicked on the post
Old 13-04-06, 08:42 PM   #8
Carsick

The route that Chog suggested is the one I take to and from England. It's pretty much the quickest to get to the bridge and it provides some entertainment.
On most of the roads, you won't have any huge problems with cameras, fixed or mobile. There aren't any fixed cameras at all on that route and not often is a mobile camera.
The main places I've seen them are in and out of Aberystwyth and just outside Llyswen on the A470 towards Builth Wells.
If you have to spend any time on dual carriageways (like between Monmouth and Abergavenny) then keep to the limit.

Since it'll be a Friday, the police presence won't be huge on the roads, but on a nice sunny weekend, all of those main routes are packed with caravans and police cars.
Old 13-04-06, 09:24 PM   #9
darylB

The A470 is a cracking road, well worth a look,have a good trip, plenty of roads to try in wales, biking heaven,

Daryl.