SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-08-18, 12:09 PM   #11
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Don't start me on Kodi an TVPlayer. Is it just me or do they really have an awful UI?
Kodi needs a degree to find anything in less than 15 hours of searching. TVPlayer likes to stop if you don't press a button every nanosecond, do it encourages channel hopping like a frog.
I have my own Kodi build, I use the skin called Eminence 2 which I find decent, and have the video library setup using a NAS network share and a mysql database on the same server, admittedly it has taken some setting up but is now a build I can install easily...TV player works okay for me most of the time, running the fire TV version of it anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
youtube-dl is a handy cli tool for Linux.
It's available for Windows too....I use an alternative build on windows these days with a built in GUI, I think it's this one:
https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/

Very very handy, options in the UI for converting to MP3 too..

Sorry, gone off in a tangent, hope it helps some anyway....anyone else like rugby sevens? It's about the only sport I can stay interested in over time..

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 26-08-18 at 12:17 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 12:19 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

i use a slightly modded (by myself) skin called xonfluence.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 01:27 PM   #13
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
back to watching sports.. i still dont get it.

Maybe try watching some women's tennis?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 01:30 PM   #14
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
anyone else like rugby sevens?

I don't have the first idea of the rules of rugby so the play makes no sense to me at all.
Union more so than league.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 02:55 PM   #15
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Once you understand cricket the strategy and complexities make it fascinating. T20 isn't that great, too much crash bang wallop. Nothing beats a great 5 day Test, the nerve, stamina, contest between bat and ball, how a bit of cloud can make a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 26-08-18, 03:51 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

seriously.. cricket... watching a bunch of men whack a ball with a wooden stick then run up and down a strip of grass. ermmm no, i would rather chew broken glass.
Old 26-08-18, 04:06 PM   #17
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Cricket, nope, sorry, only reason to watch it would be for drinking....and there are better things to accompany a beer

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 05:49 PM   #18
Red ones
Mega Poster

I will defend sport. Very little can evoke the emotions or sense of oneness. I just don't like it on TV because there is no atmosphere and there is usually a commentator.

I've seen Haile Gebrselassie destroy the field in races long enough for you to expect them to be dull as ditch water. Time each lap for the leader in a 5,000m race and explain how they are running identical laps - to the second which is all the more impressive as they run the opposition in to the ground.

There is little like a top international swimming race. Haven't been to one in years, but I suspect Adam Peaty at the 50m or 100m breaststroke is a sight. Pool halls are noisy enough on a Sunday morning, but get one on full international event and the atmosphere is incredible, especially if someone like Peaty is in the building.

Visit Twickenham for England v Wales and time it so you walk in to the lower stands just as the teams are about to walk out. I challenge anyone to not be impressed by the sight and sound of 80,000 rugby fans at probably the best match in the world. I apologise to any welsh members, I have never been to the Millennium Stadium for the reverse fixture so haven't been there for Wales to walk on to the pitch. (for those who think it might be like a football ground - your are mistaken. 80,000 fans all getting along, all singing, all drinking, all having a great time while 30 man mountains are on the pitch absolutely going at each other)

I thoroughly recommend a Sunday afternoon cricket match. Get a drink, sit down and let the afternoon flow over you. I love watching my son play. Village greens, churches, cottages, ale (or G&T). One match this year we had all that, with the peace and quiet only disrupted by the Battle of Britain memorial flight. Michael Redgrave and Richard Todd could have been sitting next to me with a dog.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 06:33 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

each to their own and all that but it just dont spark emotions in me. i would rather be doing it or out playing on my bike.

i understand about rugby as i went to a school (Boroughmuir) that was once famous for it but i still cant stand to watch it, i would rather be playing it but i'm well past doing that. as my PE teacher used to say when asked if we could play football instead.. "football is a poofs game.. are you a poofter boy"
Old 26-08-18, 07:02 PM   #20
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Most (not all) of the cricketers I know can't see the appeal of motorcycling. Putting yourself at risk of every idiot car driver/bit of gravel/pot hole. Having to wear loads of heavy, expensive gear. Getting wet when it rains. Cleaning and oiling your chain, checking your tyres every trip, not even having a cup holder for your coffee...

But would any of us give it up?

Anyway yesterday I rode some fantastic roads from Chelmsford to Bury St Edmunds, then chilled out watching a mate bat!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk