SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-12-14, 06:27 PM   #11
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: What is high mileage for an SV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
I was thinking 40k sounds like a fair amount on a bike, they rev so high it must affect life span
There is a curvy on the org with over 100k on it and it's solid

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-14, 07:00 PM   #12
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

When I bought my K3 in 2008, it came with only just 6000 miles on the clock, as many on here would say it was barely run in. Belonging to a Matlow before me, it had spent a lot of it's time in storage while he was away at sea (as told to me by the dealer I bought it from). However despite the low miles, there was rust forming on the rear sub frame, the battery was dead and brakes needed a bit of a mini service because of a sticky piston in the front callipers.

Bikes left standing just don't do that well, I know this because due to my own poor health, my bike clocks up about 900 - 1000 miles a year now. A tank of fuel lasts me over three months and the attention it takes to keep everything sweet is more than if I just rode her. It costs me more in sprays, waxes and oils than it costs me in petrol at the moment! She is however regularly serviced, the Valve clearance check was done at 18K and despite my fears, it was easier than I expected and nothing even needed changing anyway.

I am lucky in that my other half is a qualified motorcycle mechanic, my Brother in Laws both work for Fowlers in Bristol and my Step Son is an engineer with GE, so if I need any advice or help, I am surrounded by it. For those times when such help is not available, there is also the beautiful people of the Org, who are often happy to help for the price of a cuppa and bicky!

A bike with high miles that is used and cared for, will be so much better than a low mileage bike stored under a tarp in the garden for months or years, it does however provide you with a project and and you can get it cheaper if you are prepared to do the work yourself. For me, working on my bike is a form of anti-depressant while I am too broken to ride, there is so much joy in knowing that critical bearings are perfectly greased by your own hand and you can do those jobs that Suzuki do not have the time or budget to do (such as grease swing arm pivot points!) like fitting grease nipples, better quality bearings and good fork oil. This is how you keep a high mileage bike in good order anyway. Good luck in your quest to find the perfect bike, remember young Jedi, patience and determination will help you succeed in your goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-14, 08:29 PM   #13
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
There is a curvy on the org with over 100k on it and it's solid
A 100k on a sv engine is exceptional and not the norm(well not from what i read on here anyway)having said that most well looked after bikes are capable of a 100k,trouble is with short service intervals on all suzukis most will suffer some abuse by one or more of its owners,on the other hand the criteria for buying a honda is based almost entirely on condition,milage doesnt really count for much,any thing under 100k would be seen as low milage when buying a 10 year old honda
Old 29-12-14, 10:32 PM   #14
DomP

Thanks all, I really am surprised at the varied prices and mileages on places like bike trader. Some high mileage, old and expensive sv's then some low and fairly reasonable prices.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-14, 11:10 PM   #15
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
Thanks all, I really am surprised at the varied prices and mileages on places like bike trader. Some high mileage, old and expensive sv's then some low and fairly reasonable prices.
its a good time to buy a bike,winter prices are likely down £500 on summer prices,dont be afraid to haggle,always offer less,its a buyers market
Old 30-12-14, 09:18 AM   #16
Viney
Mega Poster

Mines an 01 with 77k. She's not pretty but runs fine. She's always been looked after mechanically.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-14, 09:22 AM   #17
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default What is high mileage for an SV?

Any modern bike 500cc+ will last 100,000 miles if looked after - condition is everything. My '98 Kawasaki has a little under 130,000 on it, and would be a significantly better buy than majority of 20,000 mile bikes I see. One of our track SV650s had 106,000 on it when taken off the road, it runs fine, and the compressions are still excellent, of course I don't expect it has another 106,000 left in it, but this demonstrates that big numbers aren't bad - and I assure you the reverse isn't always good. The number on the clock is not the deciding factor. How it runs and how it's been looked after is what matters.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-14, 10:56 AM   #18
DomP

I've not even done my cbt let alone my das yet but I'm very tempted to get an incentive bike. Anyone ever bought a bike without going to see it? Reason I ask is that I can never find one within 120 miles of me and I don't have a means of getting it back so considering a bike courier. Bad idea? I'm thinking it probably is
Old 30-12-14, 11:01 AM   #19
atassiedevil

Get your license out of the way first, that way you could just buy it, insure, tax and ride it home. MUCH easier.

I've bought bikes off ebay without seeing them. That's on the understanding they may need work, and are going to be some sort of project. No surprises then.

Most people who buy a bike without getting all that out the way first, it sits in the garden rotting til someone buys it off them.
Old 30-12-14, 11:44 AM   #20
DomP

I'm kind of glad you said that, is what my head has been trying to tell me. I will just window shop for now