SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-09, 10:09 AM   #1
RatchetJob

Default Bike Parking in UK Cities

I have just recently learned that Liverpool City Council does not allow Motorcycles to be parked in Pay and Display spaces and have designated Motorcycle parking bays that are wholly inadequate.

Obviously the issue is that motorcyclists cannot secure the pay and display ticket and it gets pinched. So they get a PCN for not having a ticket.

The council's solution to this is to bar motorcyclists from using the bays completely.

Shouldn't they:
  1. Come down like a ton of bricks on anyone pinching tickets.
  2. Provide a system that motorcyclists can use rather than excluding them completely.
  3. Fix the real problem rather than creating another one.

In Belfast the traffic wardens allow Motorcycles to park in pay and display bays for free (not the official line though) so I was a little annoyed at LCCs approach.

Does this exclusion apply in any other UK city?

I know about the Westminster parking tax debacle caused by the council charging for motorcycle bays but do they prevent you from parking in a pay and display bay if you choose to?
Old 19-06-09, 10:23 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Parking in UK Cities

Preston requires motorcycles to pay and display for on street parking. They would also require me to display the wife's blue badge should she be my pillion.
Old 19-06-09, 10:26 AM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatchetJob View Post
I know about the Westminster parking tax debacle caused by the council charging for motorcycle bays but do they prevent you from parking in a pay and display bay if you choose to?
Yes they do and they require you to pay at the CAR rate, even if the bay you parked in is adjacent to a bike bay.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-09, 10:41 AM   #4
RatchetJob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Yes they do and they require you to pay at the CAR rate, even if the bay you parked in is adjacent to a bike bay.
I think that's far enough.

I think it should be considered as a parking bay rate not a vehicle specific rate. i.e. if you want to use this 5m x 3m piece of tarmac you have to pay £x per hour. It doesn't matter if you're in a car, van, motorcycle, tuk tuk, etc.

Banning motorcycles from using the bay completely is another thing.
Old 19-06-09, 10:55 AM   #5
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

helmsley in north yorkshire, there's a "Motorcycle" button on the ticket machine. It basically prints your ticket twice, you stick one on the bike and put the other in your pocket. If your ticket gets nicked and you get a PCN, you can produce your duplicate ticket to resolve the matter, quite simple really

The fact that the traffic warden guy is absolutely sound really helps alot as he always tells me "If you're only here for 10 mins you don't need a ticket"..

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-09, 10:59 AM   #6
dyzio
Mega Poster

Aberdeen,
Just park at a 90 angle (ok, not perfect 90 degrees), that's it.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-09, 11:17 AM   #7
RatchetJob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
helmsley in north yorkshire, there's a "Motorcycle" button on the ticket machine. It basically prints your ticket twice, you stick one on the bike and put the other in your pocket. If your ticket gets nicked and you get a PCN, you can produce your duplicate ticket to resolve the matter, quite simple really

See - a simple and effective solution to the problem.

Why have LCC been allowed to get away with this?
Old 19-06-09, 11:17 AM   #8
AndyW

Preston has lots of FREE motorcycle bays in enclosed car parks.
Market carpark, parked there for 2 weeks while doing jury duty. Most preston car parks have free bays in them. So does Blackpool come to that, and free on street parking in certain places.
Old 19-06-09, 12:17 PM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

I only go to preston to visit the building society, walking between the car parks and the town centre is a no no for me. I want to park up, do my business and out. So yes there might be parking on the car parks, but the OP was about using on street pay and display. I have not seen any motorcycle bays at all in Preston. The council web site only says there is free motorcycle parking on the Market Hall car park. It does say there is motorcycle parking at Hill Street, but that all vehicles must pay/display
Old 19-06-09, 12:22 PM   #10
AndyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I only go to preston to visit the building society, walking between the car parks and the town centre is a no no for me.
Best bet is phone the council up and ask them. Standard for motorcycles in pay & display is you buy a ticket but keep it in your pocket, otherwise some bugger will nick it and stick it in their car.
Or you could park on the pavement. Double yellows only control on road parking. As long as it isn't liable to trip up Joe Public or in the way should be fine. (But don't hold me to that if you get nicked!)