SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-15, 05:41 PM   #1
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Default One bike to do everything?

Update:
In case anyone's interested, have got it down to a select handful to test ride:

BMW (ESA): K1300S / R1200RS / R1200RT
Yamaha (electronic suspension adjustment): FJR 1300AS / 1300AE
Aprillia (aDD Active Suspension): Caponord 1200 Travel Pack / 1200 Rally
Ducati (Ducati Skyhook Suspension): Multistrada 1200 S / 1200 S D|Air

If anyone has any particular opinions on these, feel free to share

================================================== =======

TL: DR; Can you recommend a bike that will do the jobs of both a sportsbike, and also good for long distance touring. Specifically when it comes to suspension/handling.

So, I've currently got two bikes: the SV (K6S) and an old Ninja (ZX-6R: F1).

My long term goal in life (for biking anyway) was to aim for having three bikes:
  • The everyday rat bike: For commuting, and general bimbling around. Been bashed around, but does the job. (Currently the SV)
  • The sportsbike: For those rare weekends when the weather is perfect, and you get the itch. (Currently the Ninja)
  • The tourer: For the week long tours. (Currently... borrowing my Dads DL650 V-Strom when going on a tour)
Life then changes, and I now no-longer need a commuter bike, and due to work, I'm also struggling to find the time to keep up with the servicing of the two bikes, let along three...
So, I'm now looking at selling both, and swapping them for a bike that will do the job of all of them. My main key area is something that's got good suspension for being able to handle well when you're in the mood to, but you can also ride for all day.

So far, the best I've managed to find that will do the job (and by that I mostly mean have the suspension capable of doing everything) are BMWs with the adjustable electronic suspension, alongside the various modes (Comfort, Normal, and Sport) that also tweak the ECU side of things.
Problem is, I can't find one I actually like, they're all either city bikes that don't have the tech, or MAHOOOOSIVE tourers that drown me, nothing quite fits the middle ground. Some of the K1200s were manageable, but the new K-series bikes (like the K1600) feel just too big for me.

Any good recommendations for bikes that will do everything?
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008

Last edited by Steve_God; 13-05-15 at 06:01 PM.
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-15, 05:47 PM   #2
LiquidFlux

Default Re: One bike to do everything?

I've been eyeing up the MT-09 Tracer recently, plenty of horsepower with the modern equipment you'd want whilst also being a decent touring platform.

I'm getting a bit tired of clip-ons, I wouldn't mind a taller bike, but I'm not at a point where I'd want to make a compromise to get those things. The Tracer is basically an MT-09, there doesn't seem to be that much of a trade-off.
Old 07-04-15, 05:47 PM   #3
aesmith

Someone's going to say VFR.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-15, 05:51 PM   #4
Tomor
Mega Poster

I had a go on the tracer, and I am likely to get one to replace the Street R and V Strom. Fast enough to get into silly speeds and handled very well in the corners with me on.
Old 07-04-15, 05:52 PM   #5
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I love my K1200GT. At 250Kg it's not light. I have been astonished at how good it is as an all rounder, I would not have believed a beast this big could corner so well. Gravel tracks and mud slow you down and you have to be smooth with planning in to corners. With 152bhp they can get a wiggle on when you need to as well. This weekend in Wales we did over 900 miles 2 up with everything from mud / gravel tracks to motorway and only got overtaken by one bike. Do yourself a favour and try one.
Old 07-04-15, 05:56 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Someone's going to say VFR.
You just did

How about a Fazer thou,preferably one of the old ones without the sticky throttle?
Old 07-04-15, 06:08 PM   #7
nutzboutbikes

The new Suzuki GSX-S1000.
Old 07-04-15, 06:20 PM   #8
Balky001
Mega Poster

I had the 2012 CBR600F which I would have kept had I not started to go track day'ing again. The CBR650F would be my choice if you are not after something like a tourer or adventure bike. I put a PC5 on mine and was 91hp at the rear wheel, plenty for summer days
Old 07-04-15, 06:28 PM   #9
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
I had a go on the tracer, and I am likely to get one to replace the Street R and V Strom. Fast enough to get into silly speeds and handled very well in the corners with me on.
I'm quite tempted by the Tracer. It's a little ugly but it seems to tick all the boxes above.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-15, 06:58 PM   #10
Ch00

Or a R1200RT no pipe or slippers required!

All day comfort + loads of use-able power and a still a twin (of sorts)