SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-05-05, 04:15 PM   #1
khskenny

Default Took the SV to the drag strip

Well, I decided to take my SV650 to the drag strip to see what it could do. I was hoping for low 12s, and that's what I got so I'm happy. I have not found many timeslips and actual real world 1/4 mile times for these bikes, so I thought I'd share. I only found optimistic magazine numbers. Feel free to post up your actual times as well. I felt I got all I could out of the bike. I got repeatable numbers and I was tucked as hard as I could and I launched as hard as I could.

The bike is stock with the exception of a GSXR 1000 can and a GSXR 1000 front end (which should not matter here)

Here are some timeslips and at the bottom is a video for your enjoyment. Make sure to right clck and save target as for the video.

Video:

https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kcharles/Stuff/SVtrack.wmv
Old 04-05-05, 04:37 PM   #2
JakeRS

sh*t what were you racing against doing 9 secs 1/4's?!!
Old 04-05-05, 04:39 PM   #3
Couerdelion

The last bike got 8.945!!!
Old 04-05-05, 04:41 PM   #4
goldengraemes

doesnt suprise me really scary to think my scooter is only 1second behind an sv650s im going to take my sv at some point and test it its all down to rider weight and skill.
Old 04-05-05, 04:46 PM   #5
Iansv

nice vid.. presume that last bike was a busa ?
Old 04-05-05, 04:47 PM   #6
khskenny

Last bike was a Busa. Looked to have an extended swingarm, crazy sprockets, lowered, nitrous, etc. etc. I just thought it was cool so I included it in the video. Almost all the bikes there were Busas running 9s. Sick.
Old 04-05-05, 05:02 PM   #7
jonboy

Very nice and consistent times. I quite fancy a try at this, and if I **** it up then I can just Photoshop the scan anyway .

Now I've seen the video (nice, thanks):

What size rear sprocket were you running?
Was the track dry as it appeared a bit damp?
What was the ambient temperature?

I suspect it might be possible to get late 11s with the SV if using the right gearing.

Old 04-05-05, 05:28 PM   #8
khskenny

The track was dry. It was 60* F outside. I have stock S sprockets, so what is that 15 front and 44 rear?
Old 04-05-05, 07:37 PM   #9
Wiltshire7

being a bit slow on the up-take i dont know what all those numbers mean. i see there are 2 different bikes per scan, but what does the '60' mean? it hought it was 0-60mph or something buts too fast.

thanks.
Old 04-05-05, 07:39 PM   #10
Warren

is it best to pull away with the front wheel slightly off the tarmac - to reduce drag and keep it there for the whole strip ?

my friends are into their cars, one has a VW beetle running low 15's (ive got a video somewhere if anyone wants a copy) , one has a mini turbo running 16's

i wouldnt mind a go myself tho.