SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-06-06, 09:43 PM   #1
KayDee

Default "PRE REG 2006" Meaning?

A 2006 model that has 0 miles, IS new, BUT has been registered to the dealer. Meaning if I bought it, it would be a new bike, with a lovely discount, but I'd be the second owner on the log book?
Old 13-06-06, 09:55 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

correct
Old 13-06-06, 10:00 PM   #3
Ed

Absolument
Old 13-06-06, 10:05 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Your warranty starts from the date of registration so bear that in mind if it was a while ago.
Old 13-06-06, 10:13 PM   #5
scooby2102

and...

look for a better price as the reason the dealers do this is to get the "kick back" volume bonus from the manufacturer so there's more (usually) that they can knock off the price
Old 14-06-06, 12:12 PM   #6
Toypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Your warranty starts from the date of registration so bear that in mind if it was a while ago.
The warranty on my Kwak started from the date I purchased the bike even though it had been registered 6 months earlier. Dunno if other manufacturers do things differently though but the kwak dealer were basically able to register the machine on their computer system as and when someone bought it. I then got a certificate from Kwak UK through the post which I had to stick inside my service book. Definitely worth checking though.

However my bike will need an MOT two and half years after I bought it as opposed to three.

Not worried about buying pre-reg'd and would do it again for £2k off list price. I will probably px the bike but if I did sell it privately the log book shows that the previous keeper was a dealer so I doubt a potential buyer would care - I wouldn't.
Old 14-06-06, 01:00 PM   #7
scooby2102

toypip wrote:
Quote:
Not worried about buying pre-reg'd and would do it again for £2k off list price. I will probably px the bike but if I did sell it privately the log book shows that the previous keeper was a dealer so I doubt a potential buyer would care - I wouldn't.
defo, as above, look for some good savings from the list price
Old 14-06-06, 09:54 PM   #8
Villers

The dealer can reserve a number of registrations to go on bikes, this happened when I bought mine. I was given a list of numbers to choose from. Before that my bike was unregistered so I dont consider that to be pre-reg or for it to affect my warranty.

One thing that car manufacturers used to do (not sure if it applies to cars) was to register a load of cars before anyone bought them. If they registered a thousand of them it counted the same on the books as selling a thousand and therefore looked as if their sales werent slumping (mr rover). This meant that people would be buying 2005 cars with zero miles in 2006 but with a 55 reg for a discount.
Old 15-06-06, 02:03 PM   #9
kwak zzr

mine was pre reg sk3 on a 54plate but the the only problem is that i can see is you are the second owner, i paid £3771 otr.
Old 15-06-06, 02:11 PM   #10
The Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
mine was pre reg sk3 on a 54plate but the the only problem is that i can see is you are the second owner, i paid £3771 otr.
Nice saving that...about a grand saving on the book price...saved about £600 on me GPz when that was pre-reg. Do it again I would.