SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-12-06, 05:41 PM   #1
the white rabbit

Default Matt paint

I need to redo the matt black panels this winter. I did them with spray cans last year and it worked really well, I guess matt is easy, Ive never had any luck with gloss.

I used car paint but I found that fuel spills on filling took the finish off so I suppose I need to laquer it.

Can you get matt laquer? If so is it easy to apply like matt paint is to get a decent finish or not (like what gloss is ).

Anything I need to know about compatable paints?

Ta.
Old 28-12-06, 07:28 PM   #2
ben650

what you'll need is just a black base coat,doesn't need to be matt and then a matt laquer on top and you'll be sorted.I'd go with a satin laquer i think it looks miles better than out and out matt Good luck
Old 28-12-06, 10:00 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

You going for spray cans again?

Just wondering as the last time I tried this approach I couldn't get the coverage great, and for fairings it takes a lot of cans! Was thinking if I were to do it again I would invest in a proper spray set up...

BTW Hamerite Matt black is not very good, not hardware-ing enough.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-06, 11:40 PM   #4
Beenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter
You going for spray cans again?

Just wondering as the last time I tried this approach I couldn't get the coverage great, and for fairings it takes a lot of cans! Was thinking if I were to do it again I would invest in a proper spray set up...

BTW Hamerite Matt black is not very good, not hardware-ing enough.
Times have changed then, the old Heamhorriod paint usede to be very good, but it did require good preparation for the surface to key into.

Years ago there used to be some stuff called Pot Plack that was OK for 'old' air cooled eingine fins, dunnot if its still about though.

Doc, Have you thought of using some cut out shet as a barrier?

Good luck.
Old 28-12-06, 11:55 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz

Times have changed then, the old Heamhorriod paint usede to be very good, but it did require good preparation for the surface to key into.
Was on the centerstand of my mates VFR (which reminds me...) degressed it all and roughened up the surface. Gave it 2 coats, but it just came out like powder. And started to chip even before it went on. The silver was much better...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-06, 08:24 AM   #6
the white rabbit

Its only the same bits as I did black before. Tank panal and beak and they clip right off. Spray cans worked great before, took 2.
Old 29-12-06, 12:23 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I've heard people speak well of plasticote... Never used it myself.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-06, 05:35 PM   #8
tricky

I've found Sperex tough black to be very good, seems to be pretty resistant to fuel spills, so perhaps no need to lacquer ?
Old 02-01-07, 07:57 PM   #9
the white rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
I've found Sperex tough black to be very good, seems to be pretty resistant to fuel spills, so perhaps no need to lacquer ?
That was a great suggestion, but it wouldnt take over the current acylic matt. It went like a crackle glaze.

Luckily a rub down some more primer and back to normal matt was ok. I dont try the Sperex over the primer as there's only so many times I can go horribly wrong.

So its back to square one. I even was wondering about barbecue matt black...now that should be resistant if it covers ok but I think I'm experimenting too far here.

So still seraching for a matt laquer. Ive a neighbour who works in car paint supply so he's looking into a solution. Must be one, but maybe not DIY. MAybe put up with the DIY option for another year and then get done professionally next year.
Old 02-01-07, 09:18 PM   #10
anna
Mega Poster

can you not just sand and redo with spray cans.. they looked great last time?!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote