SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-05-07, 03:23 AM   #1
Torn-Thorax

Default Exhaust Glass Packing Question

I bought an older Micron exhaust off of ebay a few months back, and am just now getting around to installing it. I opened it up to check on the insides, but I realized I don't know what they should look like. I can only see fiberglass on the top and bottom of the can, should it be filled completely? Do I need to repack? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm refinishing it.....

See, glass only at the ends. Is that right?
Old 07-05-07, 08:48 AM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Exhaust Glass Packing Question

the exhaust packing should be wrapped around the length of the internal pipe, if you play with more or less packing this will change the sound of your music
Old 07-05-07, 12:39 PM   #3
sfstu

yep, should be wrapped entire length of internal baffle... micron sell kit that wraps round internal tube and slips back in as one piece..?or you can buy the packing stuff loose..
Old 07-05-07, 12:48 PM   #4
Stig

As has been said already, it should have packing the full length. Personally, I would leave it just the way that it is. Perfect.
Old 07-05-07, 02:17 PM   #5
Torn-Thorax

So basically it will just be louder now. Does it look like the previous owner took out some of the packing, or does it wear away over time.

hmm looks like my ftp is down.
Old 07-05-07, 02:44 PM   #6
Stig

It gets burnt away out the end of the exhaust. The one thing to watch out for if you have no packing left is that the can will be hotter than it normally should be and could end up scortched.
Old 07-05-07, 04:07 PM   #7
MeridiaNx

Not wanting to start another post and seeing as this is along the same lines I've got a q regarding re-packing....I've read that it's the lighter (and more expensive) cans that need more frequent repacking, especially titanium.

I've got a Blue Flame Evo can, Stainless Steel, Dual port Oval (best way I can describe it). Do Stainless cans ever need repacking? Mine still sounds fine, although it's loud as hell anyway so I probably wouldn't notice it get louder. But BigApe's comment on heat got me thinking.....came back from Tesco the other day, no more than 3 miles I'd say, at 30-40mph. Leant over the bike when I parked, leg touched the pipe just before the can starts and it was boiling.

Bike's done about 15.5k miles now with that can on it.
Old 07-05-07, 05:19 PM   #8
Stig

Yes your can will need re-packing at some stage. It all depends on how you ride your bike and use the revs as to how much the packing will deteriorate over a period of time.
Old 07-05-07, 05:58 PM   #9
kwak zzr

scorpions have a lifetime guarantee to never need repacking but microns do need doing quite often.
Old 07-05-07, 06:04 PM   #10
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
scorpions have a lifetime guarantee to never need repacking but microns do need doing quite often.
Well I never knew that. Is that all ranges of cans or a specific range?