SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-07-07, 03:02 PM   #1
zunkus

Default A graphical designer can only find work in Cities?

As most of you now I live in Malta. Nice weather we got here most of the year but no real roads for me to enjoy and the salary is a third of what you get over there. The cost of living is on par in most things with yours though, so not much money is left in my pocket. I was thinking of starting over in Wales or a nice English/Scotish town. I hate the cities though, no offence to all here who live there. They're ok but not for me.

So my question is this: Would I find work as a graphic designer in a small town? I've got 20 years experience in the business and worked and still working for top local companies. My clients include Vodafone, Ford, Mazda, Meridien hotels, Pampers, Pantene, Alitalia, Yamaha and loads of other top Maltese brands and businesses. Do I stand a chance there?
Old 19-07-07, 03:07 PM   #2
Warthog

Default Re: A graphical designer can only find work in Cities?

Could you apply to a few places first and then move here upon success in an application?
Old 19-07-07, 03:10 PM   #3
Ceri JC

Surely there must be a lot of scope for "work at home" and sumbitting material online these days? IE you can live where you like? A mate works as a web designer and he lives in both Chile and the UK and his clients are never aware of where he physically is.
Old 19-07-07, 03:48 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

on a De-rail note - You got any work you could show us?
Old 19-07-07, 03:49 PM   #5
ASM-Forever

I have a mate who works in graphic design and he lives near me in the relative countryside(village called Cookham).

I would agree with Ceri...work from home
Old 19-07-07, 05:55 PM   #6
LouLou

If you have experience and a good portfolio surely you'd be able to set up on your own?
Old 19-07-07, 06:11 PM   #7
valleyboy

You dont have to live in the city.. hell, I think most people that work in Cardiff dont really live there.. they are like me, and commute in each day...
Old 19-07-07, 07:09 PM   #8
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunkus View Post
As most of you now I live in Malta. Nice weather we got here most of the year but no real roads for me to enjoy and the salary is a third of what you get over there. The cost of living is on par in most things with yours though, so not much money is left in my pocket. I was thinking of starting over in Wales or a nice English/Scotish town. I hate the cities though, no offence to all here who live there. They're ok but not for me.

So my question is this: Would I find work as a graphic designer in a small town? I've got 20 years experience in the business and worked and still working for top local companies. My clients include Vodafone, Ford, Mazda, Meridien hotels, Pampers, Pantene, Alitalia, Yamaha and loads of other top Maltese brands and businesses. Do I stand a chance there?

to be honest, its hard enough finding design work in the city these days, let alone out in the sticks.
Old 19-07-07, 07:20 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

i design bathrooms and kitchens using an off the shelf package for that purpose...but where i work is also a retail shop so i have to be there everyday...and yes its in the city, about 5 mins from Oxford Street. Technicaly i do sales and the design aspect helps me to sell the product to the client. In reality the client wants a design so if that no good they aint buying amything from us anyway.

Saying that there are so many companies who cant afford/dont want offices in london so have offices in the "commuter belt" areas like slough/reading etc
but they may as well be small cities for all the attitude, suits and traffic there is.

However the kitchens system we sell is prretty exclusive (www.eggersmann.com in case youre curious) and they do have a retailer /designer outfit in Chalfont St Giles selling their kitchens too. From your description Zunkus i think you'd like The Chalfonts. (theres chalfont st giles and chalfont st peter...otherwise known as the chalfonts)

hth
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-07, 12:25 PM   #10
zunkus

OK, here's some stuff I did a while ago...