SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-18, 06:30 PM   #1
EliteAlex

Default New bike help! What constitutes high mileage? Query about servicing too.

Hi, I'm looking for a GSXR750.

There is a k8 fairly local to me in blue, with 13700 miles and about 6 stamps in the book. Asking £5k. Looks like it's been looked after.

There is a different K8 about 200 miles away in black with 9700 miles on it, with 4 stamps, however one of the services was in 2013 at 3700 miles. The next was a 8400 miles in 2017. Asking price is £5,150. Is this gap in service history something to worry about?

I read online, get rid of a bike at 25000 miles as it's past it, others say don't worry about it, keep it serviced etc and it will last forever (almost).

Many thanks for the opinions/advice in advance. I basically want to know whether i should discount the blue one as i don't know whether it is high mileage? I do just over 2k miles a year, fair weather (yes i'm one of those!)AM I WORRIED ABOUT NOTHING!?!?

PS. I know this isn't a GSXR forum, but there is a lot of knowledge on here and many have been very helpful in the past.
Old 05-07-18, 06:39 PM   #2
jwray4422

Default Re: New bike help! What constitutes high mileage? Query about servicing too.

I can’t speak for GSXRs but I will answer what some people say of getting rid of a bike at 25k is total BS unless you don’t want to have to keep up after your motorcycle.

I have a 92 cbr600f2 that has 43k on the clock and still runs good for that mileage and my cbr1k has 17 on the clock and never has been to the dealer for servicing. With that being said I know noises my bike should and shouldn’t make, it’s not time for a valve job just yet for the 1k, the 600 may need one in a couple years.

Take that little bit of into as you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jwray4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 06:50 PM   #3
Talking Heads

Default Re: New bike help! What constitutes high mileage? Query about servicing too.

Nothing to worry about.
Service history just means someone has stamped the book....
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 07:12 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Modern bikes are not like 2 strokes or old brit irons. They are machines built using technology used in car motors (which have a design life of 150 to 200k without major overhaul)

There is several bikes on the org which have done around 100k mark.
As long as the servicing is done to the schedules and not abused it'll be fine.

25k is not a lot of mileage for a bike.
On a 2008 bike that's only 2500 a year. I've done 1000 in 8 days several times on a bike

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 07:21 PM   #5
EliteAlex

So concentrate on the condition of the bike as opposed to the mileage then! Thank you all!

I would imagine that being a 750, the engine is so powerful it will not even be turning over in normal, 'sensible (read legal)' riding, so would be able to better cope with the mileage?
Old 05-07-18, 07:24 PM   #6
jwray4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteAlex View Post
So concentrate on the condition of the bike as opposed to the mileage then! Thank you all!

I would imagine that being a 750, the engine is so powerful it will not even be turning over in normal, 'sensible (read legal)' riding, so would be able to better cope with the mileage?

Not always the case, more the issue is has it been ran 11k rpm all its life or was it a joy ride and spend its life at 5k rpm. Or if it’s been “Abused” as someone stated earlier.

Old 05-07-18, 08:01 PM   #7
EliteAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray4422 View Post
Not always the case, more the issue is has it been ran 11k rpm all its life or was it a joy ride and spend its life at 5k rpm. Or if it’s been “Abused” as someone stated earlier.

I understand your point!

I wouldn't have thought it has been run like that. From what i understand they haven't been track bikes. I guess there isn't really any way to know either way, being a used bike. You can only really go by what you can see and accept the risk of the used market i guess.
Old 05-07-18, 08:04 PM   #8
jwray4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteAlex View Post
I understand your point!

I wouldn't have thought it has been run like that. From what i understand they haven't been track bikes. I guess there isn't really any way to know either way, being a used bike. You can only really go by what you can see and accept the risk of the used market i guess.

Yes that being said most people don’t run their bikes that high all the time but some have been run harder than others, again the key is has it been taken care of.

Good luck buying!

Old 05-07-18, 08:06 PM   #9
EliteAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray4422 View Post
Yes that being said most people don’t run their bikes that high all the time but some have been run harder than others, again the key is has it been taken care of.

Good luck buying!

I do appreciate that, being the type of bike it is, it's going to have been ridden hard at times.. Thanks for the assistance! Much appreciated sir!
Old 05-07-18, 08:31 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

on modern engines 25k miles is the point the engine is properly bedded in, especially IL4's.

properly looked after 25k is the point that most bikes need a good old FULL service including brake pads, chain and sprockets, valve adjustment, suspension components etc.etc and maybe this is why idiots are saying get rid of it coz they dont want to spend money. these same people are the ones that dont change oil and filters at the proper service intervals then moan because their bike breaks they have probably never even held a spanner or read their handbook.

a "service" is not just an oil and filter change and a bit of grease splashed hear and there but most people dont want to spend the money getting it done properly.

most bikers should know how to do basic servicing then advance onto more difficult stuff as the bike needs it. tools are just as important as the bike but tools last a lifetime if you get the correct ones. when starting out you buy tools as you need them for the job your doing on the bike.

dealer service stamps in a book mean shizz.

my sv650 has 38k miles on the clock and i can guarantee its in just as mechanically sound than when it came out the showroom as i keep on top of servicing it PROPERLY.

so the upshot is if you dont have tools or know how to use them or like many others dont want to get your pretty hands dirty or dont want to learn then buy a brand new bike, "cant cook, wont cook" springs to mind.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote