SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-07, 01:25 PM   #1
MR UKI (1)

Default Insurance/Injury Claim Update

Had a letter today from my solicitor advising that the third party insurers have offered £4,500 for the remainder of my claim, that is injury (4 inch scar on lower left leg), loss of use of the bike during the claim period and 'care and assistance' whilst injured. Got £2,500 for the bike as a Cat 'D' and fixed it up for £1,200 and £400 for damage to kit so on the whole pretty pleased, but it leaves one question, should I do the sensible thing and save the money or buy a new bike?
Old 22-09-07, 03:23 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Insurance/Injury Claim Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR UKI (1) View Post
Had a letter today from my solicitor advising that the third party insurers have offered £4,500 for the remainder of my claim, that is injury (4 inch scar on lower left leg), loss of use of the bike during the claim period and 'care and assistance' whilst injured. Got £2,500 for the bike as a Cat 'D' and fixed it up for £1,200 and £400 for damage to kit so on the whole pretty pleased, but it leaves one question, should I do the sensible thing and save the money or buy a new bike?
you got a nice bike already mate, save it
Old 22-09-07, 03:48 PM   #3
ASM-Forever

If you dont mind me asking, in what way were you injured?
Old 22-09-07, 04:06 PM   #4
MR UKI (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
If you dont mind me asking, in what way were you injured?
Usual bruising to arms, back and ribs etc as a result of hitting the tarmac, but severe bruising to left leg and a large abrasion wound down the shin which has left a permanent scar of around 4 inches and a loss of sensation (which although has improved since the accident in December won't be restored to normal). In all honesty, I really don't agree with the 'claim culture' we appear to be moving towards, but the accident, which was 100% the third parties fault, has left a permanent reminder by way of the scar and i'm just about regaining my confidence in riding.

In reply to Kwak, i've just been looking on Bike Trader, but popped out to cover my SV up and everytime I see it I really want to keep it! Pointy Blue SV650's rule
Old 22-09-07, 10:13 PM   #5
on yer bike

how long did your claims take if you don't mind me asking. I've recently been in an accident and the personal accident solicitor seems to be on the ball, but the bike insurance seems to drag its heels with everything.

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-07, 07:41 AM   #6
MR UKI (1)

Accident happened 17 December 2006, money for the bike was paid early March and the damage to kit early April. So all together by the time the final settlement arrives approx 10 months, which from a previous experience with my first bike (Hornet) isn't too bad, as that time with no injury claim it took 9 months to get the bike repaired.