SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-07, 02:31 PM   #1
mister c
Mega Poster

Default 1st Brown Trouser Moment

Went out nice & early this morning to blow off the cobwebs & get rid of the Guiness out of my system. You can't beat early on a Sunday morning because eveybody else is still tucked up in bed, so you get the roads to yourself.
Had a good 75mile ride round the twisty back lanes to find mine & the SV's capabillities for the first time. I came into a fairly sharp left hander & chucked her in & on the exit opened the throttle nice & gently (so I thought) when the rear tyre let loose & skipped about a foot . My @rse made a very nasty noise & I just held on & waited for the bike to settle. Luckily I stayed sunny side up, but I need to remember that it is a twin & not an inline 4 I'm riding

I have to say that the SV is a fun machine & I'm not sorry that I bought it.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 02:33 PM   #2
kitkat

Default Re: 1st Brown Trouser Moment

glad you managed to stay on. play nicely
Old 11-03-07, 02:36 PM   #3
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

glad you are Ok ..

the run from the new roundabout at crewe green to alsager and on to my house at Butt lane is a good run for twisties.. .

then bomb back down the D road..

quickest I done my dads house- near earl of Crewe- nantwich road to my house.. is 11 minutes.! oops..

think I dropped you a line didnt I about our staffordshire riders group?..you just missed a good saturday out.
Old 11-03-07, 03:37 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

What tyres are fitted? MEZ4's?

Matt
Old 11-03-07, 03:44 PM   #5
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
What tyres are fitted? MEZ4's?

Matt

good point made!!
Old 11-03-07, 04:02 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Even I get moments with Z4's...admittidley, when its wet. But even so, im such a slow rider I shouldnt be getting slides and stuff

Put on some Z6's if you got Z4's! I'm going that way in july

Matt
Old 11-03-07, 04:36 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

You either opened the throttle to early or to hard. Or there was something nasty on the road that caused the bike to break traction. One more thing, when was the last time you check your tyre pressures ?

I went round a bend, when we were out today and the whole bike gave a big twitch, and I felt the rear break loose. It felt like a twitch or a small skip. I didnt really think much more of it when I got home I said to Liz about it as she was followign me and she said the back wheel shifted about a foot across the road. After a while or a few times at least you get used to the bike moving about like that. There were some slipperly road signs on that section of road. I slowed down but obviously not enough...

Never mind its all good fun

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 11-03-07 at 09:37 PM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 05:12 PM   #8
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard View Post

think I dropped you a line didnt I about our staffordshire riders group?..you just missed a good saturday out.
My problem is that I work 6 days a week, so I get 1 saturday & 1 sunday off a fortnight It was my Saturday on, or I would have come for a spin.

Running Dunlop Sportmax front & rear, checked the pressures last night, they were OK. I'm just wondering if there was a bit of damp, or something on the road, because it was a revelation to ride before that happened. Trouble is, it has dented my confidence a bit, so I am going to have to work on it..... Should be fun trying again tho
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 05:26 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

It was quite nippy first thing this morning. How long had you been out riding for before you had your little moment ? Maybe your tyres didnt have much temperature in them. It makes a huge difference I can really tell today how little grip I've had over the winter. I got my Pilot Powers nice and toasty and the difference is huge.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 05:26 PM   #10
Xan173

Wink Re: 1st Brown Trouser Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
My problem is that I work 6 days a week, so I get 1 saturday & 1 sunday off a fortnight It was my Saturday on, or I would have come for a spin.

Running Dunlop Sportmax front & rear, checked the pressures last night, they were OK. I'm just wondering if there was a bit of damp, or something on the road, because it was a revelation to ride before that happened. Trouble is, it has dented my confidence a bit, so I am going to have to work on it..... Should be fun trying again tho
The Sportmax on my CBR600RR did just the same to me today; I know it was due to too much throttle in second. It was in town where the roads seem to be well polished compared to country B-roads.

Oh well, live and lea(r)n