SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-06, 01:21 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Looks like I am going to court

Well it is almost 3 years since a brainless old fart didn't understand that a red light meant he had to stop and drove into the back of a biker who had already stopped at 60 MPH.

Said biker ended up with injuries to his shoulder that still cause him pain nearly 3 years later.

So the paperwork arrived this morning, just got to sign it and get it back into the post.

Page 1 how much am I claiming, Not more than £15,0000.

Worse part is the wife has already started to plan the spending. My intention would be new bike, pay off credit card. Hers new conservatory. Damm Why didn't they knock her down and I could plan the spending of her compensation.
Old 20-09-06, 01:30 PM   #2
Baph

Unlucky about having to go to court over it mate.

Point out to the wifey that the form says "Not more than..." and that doesn't mean you'll even get enough for the bike & card payments etc, let alone a conservatory!

Hope all goes well with the case, but from the sounds, it's just a formality
Old 20-09-06, 01:36 PM   #3
Jdubya

Default Re: Looks like I am going to court

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky

Page 1 how much am I claiming, Not more than £150,000.

I reckon with that you could easily do the conservatory and the bike
Old 20-09-06, 02:07 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Best of luck Tim. From the sounds of it, it should be a mere formality.
Old 20-09-06, 02:18 PM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Good luck with it Tim, i'm sure the court will see sense here and probably turn on him for making it go to court when he's clearly in the wrong.
Or is this hearing simply about the amount due to you?

Either way keep us posted and good luck.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-06, 02:39 PM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

yes, it is simply about the cost of damages. The guy who hit me had no option but to admit liability, I stopped for a red light in the middle lane of a 3 lane national speed limit road( 70 limit), stopped waiting to turn right was Mr Plod followed by about 6 cars, on my left were queued about 15 cars. Not only did I have about 15 witnesses including the copper, but he wrote his Mazda 626 off as well as my bike, I woke up about 15 yards infront of the white line thinking what did I do. It was estimated he hit me at at least 60mph.

The guys insurers offered my £2500 4 months after the accident based on a medical report that says I would be fully recovered within 6 months of the accident. I have had 4 courses of Physio, even tried accupuncture. I cannot lift my left arm out beyond level with the the shoulder, I am in pain every day, I can no longer swim, exercise or do jobs round the house that require any strength in my left arm.

We are going to court simply because of the 3 years deadline, I would like to hold out longer and establish if I will ever get back full use of my arm. The latest medical reports seem to indicate that will never happen. TBH, I don't want the money, I want my arm/shoulder fixing and would gladly spend the damages doing so.
Old 20-09-06, 03:03 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Hope all goes well with the case.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-06, 03:16 PM   #8
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
TBH, I don't want the money, I want my arm/shoulder fixing and would gladly spend the damages doing so.
Can totally agree there Tim - my dad had a head on at 60mph with another car doing 60mph (she veered onto his side of the road) 6 years ago, he got a six figure payout but it has changed him (for the worse) forever - massive head injuries saw to that, you can stick the money if it means your health, what is more important...?!

Hope is goes well for you....
Old 20-09-06, 03:17 PM   #9
Peter Henry

Tim in this instance I suggest you do the right thing. Have your good lady swathe you from head to foot in bandages and wheel you in to court with one leg out stretched and supported underneath by a piece of wood.

When not actually answering a direct question you should sit there whimpering due to the constant shooting pains your injuries have caused you.
Old 20-09-06, 04:09 PM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
. I cannot lift my left arm out beyond level with the the shoulder, I am in pain every day, I can no longer swim, exercise or do jobs round the house that require any strength in my left arm.
Then can you clear up your earlier post is £15,0000 = £15K or £150K sounds like it should be the latter.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote