SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-07, 06:43 AM   #1
ejohnh

Default Fork springs - Ohlins or hyperpro progressives?

HI,

I want to replace my fork springs - advice please.. Ohlins, Hyperpro progressives or what?
Thanks
John
Old 11-04-07, 09:50 AM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Fork springs - Ohlins or hyperpro progressives?

John,

I'm off for linear Ohlins ones for two reasons:

1. Linear springs are meant to be easier to set up.

2. Linear springs are meant to be better on track and I do a fair few trackdays a year.

3. I'm a brand tart and like the name Ohlins

As for the make of spring, guess that'll depend on what you want, and available spring rates. If you do a search there's a fair bit of info on rate calculators, suppliers,l what oil to use etc. If in doubt speak to one of the suspension suppliers for further advice.
Old 11-04-07, 12:21 PM   #3
Robw#70

depends on what your planning in the future, if you want to fit emulators then go linear, if not then go with hyperpro for good allround
Old 11-04-07, 02:45 PM   #4
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70 View Post
depends on what your planning in the future, if you want to fit emulators then go linear, if not then go with hyperpro for good allround
Well, I don't actually know what emulators are and I dont intend doing any track work, I just want Eileen to stop being so nervous when we go into a right hand corner. Si I guess I am in the all round ball park?
Old 11-04-07, 03:04 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Only on right handers eh?

Sounds like more a rider confidence issue than a spring problem.

Having said that I am also planning on doing my springs - going hyperpro as they are the least hassle.

Why least hassle?

Well I can go into Heine Gerrick and say "I want to order the Hyperpro front and rear spring kit for a K6 SV650S"

They say "No problem, that will be £170 and you have to wait a couple of weeks"

I say "Thanks and go home, to await a phone call"

Unlike contacting anyone else about suspension - Maxton etc are all

"Well you COULD just do the springs, but the SV rear shock is a bit poo and you REALLY need emulators in the front - here, give us the best bit of a grand and we will get it sorted out for you."

No real regard - or respect - for what the customer wants, which in this case is to better the setup of a bike, that much as I love my SV, doesn't really warrant a grands worth of suspension modification - if I was THAT bothered about the performance side of things I would just sell the SV and put that grand to the money I got and buy a GSXR or Ninja.......

David (Today is a good day to rant)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 03:08 PM   #6
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
Well, I don't actually know what emulators are and I dont intend doing any track work, I just want Eileen to stop being so nervous when we go into a right hand corner. Si I guess I am in the all round ball park?
The SV suspension is very crude. To slow the suspension after a bump, oil is forced through holes within the forks, creating damping.

Sports bikes etc are more sophisticated - they use valves in the forks instead of simple holes, which give more control over the damping and as such a better ride. These are known as cartridge forks

(Cartridge) emulators are kind of half way between the two. It's a (relatively) cheap way of upgrading the SV suspension to give the benefits of cartridge forks.
Old 11-04-07, 03:13 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Pick the ones you like the colour of!...Well thats what squid advised once
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 03:17 PM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Thats what I based my choice on - as well as the hassle thing

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 03:18 PM   #9
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Only really works if you have the optional glass forks IMO
Old 11-04-07, 03:37 PM   #10
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
The SV suspension is very crude. To slow the suspension after a bump, oil is forced through holes within the forks, creating damping.

Sports bikes etc are more sophisticated - they use valves in the forks instead of simple holes, which give more control over the damping and as such a better ride. These are known as cartridge forks

(Cartridge) emulators are kind of half way between the two. It's a (relatively) cheap way of upgrading the SV suspension to give the benefits of cartridge forks.
Yep I got a rider confidence issue about bumpy bends. They put the sh*ts up me cos the bike seems to want to go where I dont want it to.

Can I get emulators for a curvy?